Actura Staff Favourites…Top 5 Shark Facts!
Wednesday 14th July is Shark Awareness Day. To celebrate we share some funky shark facts:
- Shiver - the collective noun for a group of sharks.
- Glow in the dark - three deep-sea shark species, the kitefin shark, the blackbelly lanternshark, and the southern lanternshark, all have bioluminescent properties.
- Healthy oceans - sharks prey on sick and old marine animals, improving the gene pool and preventing the spread of disease.
- Ampullae of Lorenzini - a shark's 'sixth sense'; small pores around a shark's snout, nostrils and head that detect electrical fields in the ocean.
- More deadly - lightning strikes, hippos, deer and cows are all more deadly than sharks!