Day 28: Take out the trash...properly
Dispose of special items with due care:
- Never flush or pour down the drain pesticides, medications or toxic chemicals.
- Dispose of household hazardous materials such as pesticides, light bulbs, batteries, paint and solvents, motor oil, etc. properly. Most municipalities have special facilities for recycling such items. For NYC, check out this page for specific information.
- Recycle household appliances and electronics. Again, check with your municipality for specifics on where/how to do that.
- Recycle plastic bags at the grocery store. Many stores now have special collection bins at the entry for that purpose.
- Unused medications may be recycled at most pharmacies or at many police stations.
- Check if your neighborhood is part of an organics collection program and keep kitchen scraps out of landfill. If that's not available, consider starting a neighborhood composting initiative.