Day 20: Green your preen
The small things we do daily usually have the greatest cumulative impact on our lives and the environment. If we want to make a real positive impact, we must start with daily habits and make baby steps toward change.
Here are a few tips on how you can make a difference:
- Don't run the water while you are on the toilet. Feeling shy? How about running a sound app like Fake Shower instead?
- Turn water off while brushing your teeth (this wastes as much as 200 gallons per person per month).
- Chuck the anti-bacterial soaps: they are no more effective in getting rid of bacteria than soap and water, but can have harmful effect on the endocrine system (especially in children) and dire impact on the environment.
- Never flush your old medications (prescription and OTC) down the drain. Instead, recycle them (prescription) or throw in the trash (OTC).
- Replace cosmetics that contain any of these dirty dozen ingredients.