Top 5s all around
I recently asked on Facebook in meme format if people wanted to hear about my Top 5s on any topic. Here we go.
Kevin — "Lanterns"
- John Stewart
- Jessica Cruz
- Wonder Woman as a Star Sapphire
Martin — "Stars"
- Star Queen Nebula
- The ones we saw in South Africa
- The one David Bowie became
- Horsehead Nebula
Katelyn — "Star Trek episodes"
So mean. There are 741 episodes of Star Trek, by the way. I have seen them all.
1. "The Best of Both Worlds Part I" from Star Trek: The Next Generation
This episode and its sequel scared the crap out of me when I was kid. The Borg were a great villain against a socially liberal society valuing independent thinking, and Picard's genius turning against the crew was perfect.
2. "Trials and Tribble-ations" from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
The perfect tribute to TOS with a fan angle. I particularly loved Jadzia here, who is essentially a fan, but did actually live through the era.
3. "The Lorelei Signal" from Star Trek: The Animated Series
Uhura and Chapel finally get their due.
4. "All Good Things…" from Star Trek: The Next Generation
This is how you end a show.
5. "Past Tense Part II" from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Petty much predicted our future and current path. Thanks, Silicon Valley and capitalism.
I can't believe I cannot add more episodes of DS9 or any episodes from Voyager or Disco. (Though I'm currently rewatching Disco and seeing what holds up for me.) No episode of Enterprise was good enough to rank in the top 30. But I also feel like Enterprise, especially those early seasons, is so bad that you feel Stockholmed when it gets better in the last two seasons, you are like "this show is great!"
Pete — favorite cosplays
I'm going to limit this to my own cosplay.
- Alice (Batwoman's sister)
- '80s lawyer She-Hulk (Julia went as '80s Iron Man) — see photo above
- Sherlock, the Cumberbatch version (Lisa went as Watson)
- Elizabeth Weir from Stargate Atlantis (Jacob went as John Sheppard)
- Rainbow Bright
Apparently, I really like doing group cosplay.
Jade — Local bred bands
- Bikini Kill
- Pretty Girls Make Graves
- Mary Lambert
Conclusion: I am of a certain age.
Bill — Marvel superheroes
- Captain America (just say no to Nick Spencer)
- Emma Frost
- America Chavez
- Agent Brand
Also Storm, Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, Shuri, Chewbacca (Carol Danver's cat), Bucky Barnes, Hellcat, and Jessica Jones
Newsletter readers, hit reply if you want to see me list pontificate.
Miami, You've Got Style: A Little Golden Girls Book by Scott and Zach ⭐ 4/5 stars
I always like to have a book in my reading pile that's just enjoyable. This was one of those, today is bad and I need some joy and comfort.
You should definitely watch the Golden Girls before reading this.
-1 star as there's some ableist language, but for the most part, the humor doesn't punch down and that kept the book enjoyable.
Things I wrote recently
Reviews on my comics blog:
- Animosity #10, #11, and #12, book by Marguerite Bennett and Rafael de Latorre, rating 3.6/5 stars
- Batwoman #10 and #11, book by Marguerite Bennett, K. Perkins, Scott Godlewski, and Fernando Blanco, rating 2.5/5 stars
- Lumberjanes #40, #41, and #42, book by Shannon Watters, Kat Leyh, and Ayme Sotuyo, rating 3.3/5 stars
- Motor Girl #7, #8, #9, and #10, book by Terry Moore, rating 3.5/5 stars
- The Unstoppable Wasp #7 and #8, book by Jeremy Whitley, Veronica Fish, Ro Stein, and Ted Brandt, rating 4.5/5 stars
- Wonder Woman #26, #27, and #28, book by Shea Fontana, Mirka Andolfo, and David Messina, rating 2.6/5 stars
- Wonder Woman ’77 Meets the Bionic Woman #1, #2, and #3, book by Andy Mangels and Judit Tondora, rating 2.6/5 stars
Instead of ranting on social media, I bring you, dear reader, my micro thoughts.
1. Instead of waiting on your minority friends/acquaintances/coworkers to tell you their deeply personal stories related to their identities, experiences, and cultures and give you a baseline education on those things, you could read a book from someone with a similar background or experience. There is probably one out there. You always seem to find time to read business books or articles to study other things you didn't grow up knowing.
2. Anytime I read history, I rediscover that we haven't learned anything since the 1800s. Specifically the United States. All the institutions I hate were basically created to make slavery more profitable. Dismantle it. Seriously, securities trading — you know all those mortgage-backed securities that lead to the 2008 housing market crash and economic recession? — was invented to make slavery more profitable and the first securities were literally other human's lives.
3. Having been part of very public "newsworthy" layoffs — that are even being immortalized in book format — my heart goes out to the KUOW staff, especially those who are part of the cuts. 💙
Green thumb update
All the gardening! Let's see the jalapenos have been out on the covered porch basically all the time now, only getting brought in if the temperature dips below 40 at night. It's still too rainy to put them in the garden proper.
Harvested some radishes.