11-14: Spring Musical, Hello Dolly!,
7:00pm Th.-Sat., 2:00pm Sun., Nathan Hale HS
12: ASB Walkathon
15: Deadline for 2019-20 Registration Materials
16-18: 6th grade camp, Camp Hamilton
17: Standing Scrip orders home
19: Stations of the Cross (gr. PreK-8, led by 7th grade)
Good Friday: Noon Dismissal/No Extended Care
CYO track registration closes
22-26: Spring Break: No School/No Extended Care
29-30: Map 2 Window (4/29-5/24)
View the entire 2018-19 ASB Calendar here
April 10, 2019
Dear Students, Families, Alumni, Parishioners, and Friends of ASB School,
We are almost to Holy Week, during which we celebrate Jesus’s suffering, death, and resurrection, all of which He endured for each one of us. I often receive daily reflections and during the season of Lent, have tried to be more diligent in not only reading these reflections, but truly taking time to reflect. This morning’s reflection fits perfectly in the season of Lent, a season in which we recommit ourselves to prayer, charity, and fasting from the luxuries we often take for granted. This is important food for thought and fits so well with our mission as a school:
“How many claims do we make about our own faith lives? Do we live up to them? Or do we only occasionally “validate our parking” by once-in-a-while actions? Hitting a home run on your first at-bat doesn’t make you a career “power slugger” all by itself. If we truly believe, then we need ACT as if we believe — constantly. Do your actions allow others to see your faith? Is your faith an example and an encouragement to others?”
Notes for the week:
- Musical – Our school musical, Hello, Dolly!, opens tomorrow night at Nathan Hale high school. Please support our students and their hard work. Ticket information can be found in newsletter below. Looking forward to seeing our young thespians shine!
- Walk-a-thon: Our Walk-a-thon is just two days away! Thank you to Sydnie Taylor-Vance and Jamie Bergman for all of their hard work on this important fundraiser. We are striving for 100% participation from families and are grateful to each of you for your support. More information is below in Development section.
- Registration – Registration materials are due on Monday, April 15th. Please be sure to complete all paperwork, including a signed parish reflection for in-parish families and completing the online volunteer survey that was sent by Parent Board.
- Calendar – Next year’s draft calendar was included with registration packets and is also online. Please note our scheduled vacations and adhere to those when planning. To be frank, the number of unexcused absences this year has been absurdly high. It directly impacts student learning and is disrespectful to teachers’ time. Thank you for your attention to this moving forward.
- Great articles for the week:
> Stealing Children’s Ambition
> Five Tech Rules for Parents
Have a wonderful week and restful weekend!
Assisteen Book Drive - April 8-30
Many of our middle school students work with the Assisteen program as a part of their Missionary Discipleship work. Help them help Seattle students in need by donating books to the Assisteen Book Drive. Books should be new (or at least look and feel new) and geared towards grades K-12. Books can be dropped off at the school's entrance April 8-30 (look for the drop off box). Assisteens of Seattle will distribute your donations to kids participating in the Seattle Assisteens League's Operation School Bell program. OSB provides new clothes, shoes, and coats to over 2000 Seattle students in need annually.
YEARBOOK LAST CALL
This is the last chance to get your team pictures turned in to be included in the yearbook. Please submit them by Friday, April 12th to Christa Caballero
The Spring Concert
is set for Thursday, May 16th at 7:00pm in the gym. Come out and hear music from the ASB Band and Choir programs. See you there!
Please join the ASB Theater Ensemble as they present
Jerry Herman’s beloved classic, Hello, Dolly!
This blockbuster Broadway hit bursts with humor, romance, high-energy dancing, and
some of the greatest songs in musical theater history. The romantic and comic exploits of
Dolly Gallagher-Levi, turn-of-the-century matchmaker and “woman who arranges things,”
are certain to thrill and entertain! The show’s memorable songs include “Put On Your Sunday Clothes,” “Ribbons Down My Back,” “Before the Parade Passes By,”
“Hello, Dolly!,” “Elegance,” & “It Only Takes a Moment.”
Nathan Hale High School’s Performing Arts Center
10750 30th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125
April 11 @ 7:00 pm
April 12 @ 7:00 pm
April 13 @ 7:00 pm
April 14 @ 2:30 pm
Tickets can be bought at HERE
Remember to Like, Follow & Share ASB School!
Thank you for helping @asbschool reach 600 followers on Instagram!
(Click the icons above)
Instagram: @asbschool Facebook: @asbschool Twitter: @asbseattle
Together We Can Reach Our Goal - $6.5 million
The Walkathon is FRIDAY, April 12
Donate Now Here
How to Participate:
We are striving for 100% participation! Every parent has received an email with a link to your student's individual pledge page. You do not need to create anything or login. Simply make a donation and share your student's link with family and friends. If you did not receive the email, search and find your student's online pledge page Here
. Checks and cash can also be accepted, please turn into the front office in an envelope labeled "Walkathon."
Contests and Prizes
1. Every student that participates gets a free dress coupon!
2. The top 5 students win a Garmin to keep tracking their steps!
3. The top class wins a pizza party sponsored by the Ridge NE!
4. The runner-up class wins a doughnut and pajama party sponsored by Top Pot Doughnuts!
5. Dunk the Principal! If we reach our goal of $50,000, all students are entered into a drawing to dunk Principal Conklin. 5 winners will be chosen.
8:35am: 7th grade (*note - will walk early due to field trip
9:45am: 2nd & 3rd
10:15am: Kinder and 1st
10:45am: 4th and 5th
11:45am: 8th and PreK
Click Here for More Info
Thank you to our Walkathon Chairs - Sydnie Taylor-Vance & Jamie Bergman
Congratulations to 7th grader, Elena Lovejoy, winner of the Walkathon Logo Contest!
Shopping for Spring Break? Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic/Athleta give back 15% to ASB. Sign Up Here Now
Local Vendor Spotlight! Mamma Melina
Serving authentic Italian food for 30 years! Dine out for a great meal and support ASB at the same time. Mamma Melina gives 10% back to us! Get your Mamma Melina Scrip Here
Questions? Email us at email@example.com
Doing your taxes this weekend? For 2018 giving receipt information please Click Here.
We appreciate your generosity! Contributions to ASB School are deemed charitable under Sec. 501 (c)(3).
Volleyball season has ended for many of our ASB Volleyball teams, congrats to all of our teams that have made the CYO playoffs for this volleyball season.
The following teams are still competing in the CYO playoffs
6th Grade Boys:
for their division. All volleyball championships will be held on Sunday, throughout the day, at Bishop Blanchet High School
6th Grade Girls:
- Saturday, 4/13 vs. HRS@ 10:00 AM, Assumption Gym
7th Grade Boys:
- White Team: Saturday, 4/13 vs. Immaculate Conception @ 1:00 PM, Assumption Gym
7th Grade Girls:
- White Team: Saturday, 4/13 vs. HRS @ 9:00 AM, St. Louise
- Red Team: Saturday, 4/13 vs. Westside @ 10:00 AM, St. Louise
8th Grade Boys:
- AAA Team: TONIGHT Wednesday, 4/10 vs. Sacred Heart @ 6:00 PM, Assumption Gym
8th Grade Girls:
- Saturday, 4/13 vs. HRE @ 11:00 AM, St. Louise
- White Team: Saturday, 4/13 vs. OLF @ 11:00 AM, HFK
Track and Field News:
ASB's Track and Field team the NorthEND Striders
is back for 2019. Registration for Track and Field is open to grades 4-8 with a registration fee of $40.00 per student.
- Thursday, April 11th @ Roosevelt HS Track 7-8PM, we are hosting a Track Experience Week where kids get to try out all of the different activities in track (sprints, distance running, long jump, high jump, shot put, javelin, etc.) to see what they enjoy. We would appreciate some parent volunteers for this event to help us with raking the long jump pit, measuring jumps, etc. Please help us get the word out. We would love to see all the schools represented.
- Tuesday, April 16th @ The Ridge NE Pizza 7-8PM we will be holding a NE Striders Parent Information Night. All parents are encouraged to attend to get track schedules, learn about volunteer opportunities, and get meet times.
- Tuesday, April 18th @ Roosevelt HS Track 7-8PM we will have our first official practice.
- Tuesday, April 19th Track Registration Closes
CYO Baseball games start this weekend. Please check out the ASB Baseball schedules on the CYO Team Sideline website. Good luck to our baseball teams, go bulldogs!
Camp ASB 2019 Registration and Summer Calendar is now available!
The Camp ASB Summer Calendar is now available
. You can find the calendar on the ASB School website and it is included in this newsletter. Registrations and prepayments for Camp ASB, including registration for the Camp ASB Field Trips, are now being accepted. Some field trips have a limited number of space and it is important for those families that want their children to attend, or need their children to attend Camp ASB on those days, are free to secure their spots. This can be done by contacting me or indicating your needs on the Camp ASB Registration Forms.
As I announced last week, this summer Annie Hawksford, Lexi Dijulio and Emily O'Hare three of the four kindergarten teachers at ASB, will be running KinderCamp. It will be an amazing opportunity for our incoming kindergarten students to attend KinderCamp that is being taught by the current kindergarten teachers.
Thank you to Annie Hawksford
, Lexi Dijulio
and Emily O'Hare
This summer will be an amazing opportunity for our incoming kindergarten students to attend KinderCamp, taught by the current kindergarten teachers. I would encourage all incoming Kindergarten families to consider registering for one or more of these sessions. Kinder Camp is a great opportunity for your incoming Kindergartner to get familiar with his or her classmates, the structure and style of ASB School and the actual facilities (playgrounds, bathrooms, classrooms). The registration forms for Kinder Camp are located on the ASB School web-page under the Extended Care link and they are also included in this newsletter.
Similar to last year, KinderCamp will be held Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Session one will take place the first week of Camp ASB, June 17-21.
- Session two will be held the week after Camp ASB ends, August 5-9. Camp ASB will not be available prior to, or after, KinderCamp during session #2. Parents will need to arrange for their campers to be dropped off and picked up at the start and end of KinderCamp session #2.
Camp ASB Forms:
Extended Care reminders:
- Camp ASB registration forms, KinderCamp registration forms and Camp ASB calendar are now available. Please go to the Extended Care page on the ASB Website, to get more information.
- Tax information is available to each family via their FACTS account. The Tax ID # for ASB School is: 911934765
- If you have any questions about Extended Care, please do not hesitate to contact Dylan Pouley or Kai Bond we are happy to assist you in whatever way that we can.
Here's a friendly reminder from your Parent Board to fill out and submit this simple survey HERE
recording your preferences for volunteer opportunities as a part of the registration process for the 2019/2020 school year. Expressing interest via this form does not represent a binding agreement, but will help us connect great gigs with great people--there's even some eventful Spring 2019 opportunities for those looking to log more volunteer hours by the end of this year!
Interested in Joining Parent Board? LAST CALL!
Would you like to be more involved in supporting our school and making decisions that impact the quality of our students’ experiences? The Parent Board will have open positions for the 2019-2020 school year. Open Positions include: Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, School Services, and Clubs and Enrichment.
The following individuals have expressed their interest in serving on the Parent Board. However, there is still time to put your name on the ballot. Let us know you are interested in learning more HERE
Vice President: Shannon Hull
Treasurer: Sean Quigley
Secretary: Rachel Guidon
School Services: Lauren Carson
Clubs & Enrichment: Annie Costa
A school-wide vote to confirm the slate of officers will take place towards the end of April.
Attention Moms and Sons!
Please join us for the Mother-Son Fun Event on Friday May 10. We will be cheering on the University of Washington baseball team for a 7:00pm game. ASB families will get a block of tickets together so we can have fun as a community.
Tickets cost $5 per person. Please send payment to Angela Arralde (2A mom) via Paypal
In the comments section, please note names of attendees (mom, son #1, son #2, etc.). If you’d like to make different payment arrangements, please contact Angela
206.718.7942. We look forward to an evening of baseball and ASB-style fun!
: May 10, 6-9 pm, Assumption Gym!
Sign up HERE
for this year's Father-Daughter Dance. Please write the names of those attending in the comment section.
Don’t forget to volunteer and sign up HERE
to earn those double service hours for clean up.
Wear your neon, get ready to go and let’s dance it up at Ready Set GLOW!
Diverse Learners Parent Meeting
All are welcome at the next Diverse Learners Parent Meeting: Tues, May 14, 7:00pm pm in NE Seattle. Social time with food and drinks, and educational time related to a topic of interest to the group. Questions? Call fellow ASB parents Julie at 206-390-3095 or Alethea at 206-409-1979 for more information.
Traffic Duty, April 11th -- April 17th
(Thank you First Grade Families!)
Thursday, 4/11: Loop -- Wood, Kois, Jordan, Portugal; Big Toy -- Williams, Ackerman
Friday, 4/12: Loop -- Agarwal, Aziz, Blake, Sera; Big Toy -- Bruner, Cangialosi
Monday, 4/15: Loop -- Chaykin, Davis, Corr, Davidson; Big Toy -- Donahue, Iversen
Tuesday, 4/16: Loop - Werner, Hartsock, Hull, Franson; Big Toy -- Jordan, Jonte
Wednesday, 4/17: Loop -- Kirschner, Cypher, Logar, Loomis; Big Toy -- Lund, Masco
FISH FRY FOUND
A key fob for a Mercedes vehicle.
Please contact Carol at the Assumption Parish Office to claim it!
If you know a family with a Mercedes vehicle would you kindly inquire if it might be their's?
Thank you! We know they are very expensive to replace.
Assumption Parish is looking for volunteers to help teach CLOW: Children's Liturgy of the Word
Assumption parish helps children understand and participate in the Sunday bible readings.
Who: Children in kindergarten through fifth grade.
Please contact Ellen Bollard and Dylan Pouley for more information.
When: During 8:30 am Mass.
Where: St. Benedict Hall - Father will call the children forward at the beginning of Mass and they will process downstairs and return after the homily.
No sign-up required. Participate weekly at 8:30am mass.
St. Bridget Parish:
St Bridget Auction
Please join St Bridget Parish for Nacho Average Auction on May 3, 2019 from
5:30-9pm with delicious food from Ethan Stowell’s Super Bueno & AMAZING live auction items. Tickets are one on sale HERE
All are welcome!
Children’s Faith Formation, Family Nights, and Sacramental Preparation
EDGE Middle School Youth Group
On Monday evenings from 7-8pm we offer a program for children in grades 1-5 that involves fun, faith formation, and fellowship. Younger students will have the opportunity to get paired up with older student "buddies" in the Junior High EDGE program, meets at the same time.
Monday nights at 6:30pm! Open to all 6th, 7th and 8th graders. Come join the fun!
Mental Health First Aid Course at North Seattle College
Sometimes first aid isn’t about a bandage, or CPR or calling 911. Sometimes, first aid is you
A person you know could be experiencing a mental health or substance abuse problem. Learn an action plan to help a friend, family member, coworker or neighbor in need. You are more likely to encounter someone in an emotional or mental crisis than someone having a heart attack. (This FREE training provided by King County is for any person 18+).
Get trained in Mental Health First Aid
Saturday, April 27 18 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
North Seattle College, 9600 College Way North
Call Sue Wyder at (253) 426-5957 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Guitar Lessons from ASB Grad
Spencer Goll is a former ASB student (class of 2004) and accomplished guitarist who has worked with many ASB students of all grade levels. If your son or daughter is interested in learning beginning guitar of any style, please contact Spencer
or 206-909-2511. Spencer is available in the after school hours from 3:30-6pm and offers lessons at his home or yours.
Need a tutor?
ASB alum and Holy Names sophomore Natalie Kizzier is available and willing to do it in order to complete her volunteer hour requirement. Math and English-Language Arts. Contact Natalie
Seattle Prep News
Middle school families, learn more about Seattle Prep HERE
Youth Football Camp information HERE
Bishop Blanchet News
Middle school families, learn more about Bishop Blanchet HERE
Holy Names News
Middle school families, learn more about Holy Names Academy HERE
Summer Camp opportunities information HERE
Middle school families, learn more about O'Dea HERE
Roosevelt HS News
Middle school families learn more about RHS HERE
Archbishop Murphy News
Middle school families, learn more about Archbishop Murphy HS HERE
Keep up to date with Watts Basketball, plus see special announcements, training videos, and insights from Coach Donald Watts by liking us on Facebook
or following us on Instagram
is fast approaching! Join us on April 22–26 for an incredible week of friends, skills, games and
Registration is now open for summer camps! Watts is offering multiple five-day sessions from June through August. Click here for the full schedule.
Link to One on One basketball camps HERE