Southwest Florida Dance News
September 3, 2019
In this Newsletter:
- Announcing the Ambassador Program
- National Ballroom Dance Week Participation
- September Social Dance on Sunday September 22
- Start of 8 week West Coast Swing group lessons
What is the Ambassador Program?
The mission of USA Dance has always been the provision of quality affordable introductory instruction in social ballroom dance. However, access to a quality program for those who wish to take their ballroom dance skills to the next level and “give back” to the ballroom dance community has not always been available.
We are pleased to announce that ten of our students completed Bronze Level 1 & 2 requirements in East Coast Swing for our New Davenport “Ambassador Program” (AP) for Social Dance Education. They are: Bert Seidman/Karen Meekins, Alan and Nancy Peltz, Don Williams/ Bonnie Burkey, Joe Madia and Bonnie Incardona
The AP program is a Bronze level 1 & 2 continuing social dance education certificate program offered to members of USA Dance and Southwest Florida Chapter 6049. It is supported in part through the Davenport Fund of Southwest Florida USA Dance #6049. The AP Program includes:
The purpose of this program is 1) to build a core group of Southwest Florida USA Dance “Ambassadors," who having benefited from the SWFL USA Dance program and can come back into our USA Dance activities as volunteers and, 2) to enrich the local dance community by serving as “Ambassadors” sharing the vision of our non-profit USA Dance organization. This program is a Southwest Florida USA Dance Chapter program under the Direction of Mary Bonnette, former Pro/Am competitor and Founding and Current President of Southwest Florida #6049.
- Sixteen contact hours of ballroom dance group instruction under the direction of a professional ballroom dance instructor.
- Community Service hours participation with the group dance at the Chapter Social Dance Event held at the end of the eight-week series.
- Opportunities as “Ambassadors” to keep dance skills sharp and reap the satisfaction of helping others. Helping new beginners by providing beginners with opportunities to dance with more experienced dancers during Thursday afternoon USA Dance practice sessions at Riverside and Chapter Social Dance Parties.
- A discount to attend Thursday afternoon practice sessions and Social Dance Parties.
- Special name badge to reflect that you are a Southwest Florida USA Dance “Ambassador”.
USA Dance Southwest Florida Chapter is participating in National Ballroom Dance week
You are invited to come dance us! Saturday, September 21 We will be at Edison Mall 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM (Near the fountain).
We will have:
- Demonstrations from professional instructors
- Open dancing of the styles you know (Swing, waltz, foxtrot, rumba, cha-cha)
- Various studios will be represented
Monthly Social Dance
Hold September 22 for the monthly Social Dance “Falling in Love with Dance” , At 2:30 Bruce Akiota will provide a Waltz lesson to sharpen skills may introduce a new pattern for you repertoire. 3:30 to 5:30 is open dance. Aki’s studio 6240 Metro Plantation Rd, Fort Myers, FL 33966
West Coast Swing Group Lessons Begin Monday September 9, 2019
David Flory, a top ballroom dance instructor in Southwest Florida is serving as instructor for the upcoming West Coast Swing series in September and October. He was voted top male instructor in the United States while under the Fred Astaire Franchise.
Beginner lessons are 6:30 to 7:30; Intermediate lessons are 7:30 to 8:30. Sessions are each Monday from September 9th to 30th and October 6th to 27th. Riverside Community Center, 3061 East Riverside Dr., Ft Myers 33916
Come Dance with Us!