Dear Emmaus Chorale Singer,
It was so good to see some of you – especially those who had not joined us earlier – on our final Zoom Sing-In earlier this month. I think we all feel we are beginning to emerge from our ‘Great Pause’ and want to begin making plans for the future. Some of you have asked about Chorale’s plans, so I wanted to respond to your inquiries.
Although some members have moved away, we’re all a year older, you now may have other priorities, and clearly our world has changed, we do plan to resume as soon as it is safely possible to do so. [And we will be asking for your help to publicize our return and recruit new members when that time comes!]
However: it still depends on a number of factors
- Federal & state regulations in effect at the time
- Faith Church’s guidelines on facility use which we will need to observe (for example, limited rehearsal space in Fellowship Hall; and if attendance in the sanctuary is limited, is a concert worthwhile?)
- We are monitoring & will be observing ‘best practices’ for choral singers and choirs (If your church or other choral groups already have issued these, please share them with us!)
- Singers will be asked at a minimum to show proof of vaccination before attending the first rehearsal.
- And probably most important, Janet needs to feel safe and comfortable in leading us!
Several of us are checking in constantly with our ‘networks’ and here’s what our colleagues are saying:
- At this point, I'm not sure. To be honest with you, I feel like right now I just don't know what to do [about returning to choir rehearsals and choral concerts]!
- We might sing in small groups at first…
- Our church has had a case of someone getting Covid despite being fully vaccinated.
- I do think wearing masks to sing, etc is important, along with social distancing.
- Our singers all have ‘choir masks’ – which sort of look like medieval plague masks! – but we can’t start practicing until the Bishop gives his permission.
- Even our outdoor services do not have singing.
- If there is anything consistent about the Covid lock-down , it’s that “the return to normal“ date continues to be pushed back.
- Until we know that our various vaccinations protect against the new variants, singers could be super-spreaders (as we saw in the earlier phase with the choir in Oregon) or could trigger the next wave. And we may not know this until after some choirs start singing again!
We tentatively have confirmed the following with Faith Church, if you wish to add them to your calendar:
- Rehearsals on Tuesday evenings, 6:45-9:30 pm, beginning no sooner than August 31; Fellowship Hall now is limited to only 25 people
- Our Christmas Concert tentatively is scheduled for Sunday, Dec. 12, 3 pm, with set-up/pre-concert rehearsal beginning at 1:30 & reception/clean-up afterwards until ~5:30 pm
- Concert rehearsal, Saturday, Dec. 11, 10am until noon
We will not know if this schedule will be possible until late this summer.
Thank you again for your continued interest in Chorale! Feel free to contact Janet or me at any time with questions, concerns, suggestions & news. We all are looking forward to making music together again just as soon as possible!!
Stay healthy, keep singing…virtual hugs to you all!