In our last Monday Mindset newsletter we went over 6 steps to spring clean you! Now we need to down and dirty to address spring cleaning from a personal care and house cleaning products and routines perspective.
You may be eating right for your body, exercising and doing what it needs to in order to remove toxins but at the same time lathering up with toxic personal care products and cleaning our home with products full of toxins. Don’t be overwhelmed. We can do this together...
The truth is that toxins in our personal care products and home cleaning products cause low immune systems, mental fatique, loss of concentration, depression, lack of energy, anxiety, stress, mood swings, headaches, dizziness, palpitations, shortness of breath, trouble sleeping, reproductive issues, hormone disruption and are linked to certain cancers and other inflammatory diseases such as Alzheimers and Parkinsons. It definitely is not just the food we eat so here are some things you can do simply to spring clean your self care products and routine as well as your home cleaning products.
Self Care Products and Routines:
1. Wash product off your face as soon as you get home rather then at bedtime (just a few hours chemical free a day can add up to years over a lifetime).
2. Focus on the cause of your skin issues - your food intake, water intake, sleep, stress etc. Rather then covering up
3. Brushing, flossing and drinking plenty of water is what really cleans our teeth, not the toothpaste.
4. Consider a daily calcium, magnesium and vitamin D supplement to keep your teeth healthy.
5. If worried about bad breath, use a tongue scraper and rinse with water flavored with a Natural extract such as peppermint, anise or cinnamon.
6. Replace aluminum/mercury fillings safely with a biological dentist who works with biocompatible fillings
7. Read labels and watch out for: parabens (methyl, propyl, butyl, and ethyl), Mercury (thimerosal), Lead acetate, Diethanolamine (DEA), Synthetic color pigments, Propylene glycol (PG), Coal tar,Toluene , Phenylenediamine (PPD), Petrolatum. If something you can not pronounce or have not heard of then you best look it up to be safe.
8. Look for the EWG VERIFIED™ label and use the Skin Deep® tools to help you navigate. Go to ewg.org for more information
House Cleaning Products and Tips:
1. If cleaning with products you wouldn't eat then please wear gloves.
2. Freshen rooms with a spray bottle filled with a few drops of orange, lemon or lime essential oil and water rather then aerosol
3. Use non toxic biodegradable (plant based) products
4. Become a shoeless house - or at least when it is just your immediate family - otherwise you are tracking car oil, pesticides, animal waste and other toxins into your homes
5. Use a steam or a vapor cleaner - do a great job without the use of toxic chemicals
6. Buy the best vacuum you can afford with a HEPA “completely sealed” filter system
7. Get your home tested for contaminants - its worth the investment and less expensive then medical bills you will avoid!
8. If you are buying new or renovating what you have; ask for less toxic glues, materials and eco friendly paint that have less volatile compounds to be used
9. Use regular incandescent light bulbs as their light is healthier and safer to replace and dispose.
10. Remember that opening the windows as much as possible will save your families from millions of contaminants floating around in the air!
Your NEW Toxin Free Cleaning Kit
- BUCKET OF GOOD SOAPY WATER
- ACID CLEANER for alkaline residue (lemon juice and/or white distilled vinegar)
- ALKALINE CLEANER for a acid residue (baking soda, club soda, salt, cornstarch or Borax)
- ESSENTIAL OILS (citrus, eucalyptus, lavendar, peppermint and tea tree are great to start)
- ELBOW GREASE
Still feel overwhelmed or do not know where to start? I can help. Just reach out. We are all in this together.
Yours In Health & Wellness,
Connect now to get Recipes, Tips, Newsletters & Book Your Consult!