In the spirit of Halloween, I thought it would be fitting to write about what, I believe, is the biggest obstacle for most -- FEAR. It certainly is for me.
Fear holds us back from being who we are meant to be; keeps us from taking risks; and prevents us from “putting ourselves out there.” Fear keeps us from being our best selves. Fear, if gone unchecked, can and will affect every part of our lives -- career, relationships, spirituality and even nutrition and fitness.
Why are we fearful? Is it our own perfectionism? Is it society’s pressure to fit in? Whatever it is, if you can identify your fears you are on your way to conquering them. Ask yourself, “What is the worst thing that could happen if I do this?” You may surprise yourself with the answer – because the “worst thing” may not be that bad. Often times those “worst things” are really learning experiences in disguise. Addressing your fears may open you to endless possibilities and opportunities.
What are you afraid of?
- Are you afraid of commitment? Don’t be -- commitment is the key to reaching your goals.
- Are you afraid of failure? Failure is one or our greatest teachers.
- Are you afraid of being yourself? Think of this quote by Oscar Wilde: “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
- Are you afraid you are too old or too young to do something? I love this African Proverb “If you think you are too small to make a difference, then you haven’t spent a night with a mosquito.”
- Are you afraid of being vulnerable? You can’t be truly truly in love unless you are vulnerable.
- Are you afraid of not being perfect? Being perfect is exhausting.
- Are you afraid of not being liked? If you worry about this too much you are assured of compromising yourself and your integrity.
- Are you afraid of letting go of the past? Remember, the past does not have to define YOU, you define you.
- Are you afraid of going after your dreams? Don’t be because otherwise they will never come true.
- Are you afraid of speaking up for yourself or for someone else? That’s OK, but do something, say something. My guess is that Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill and Rosa Parks were also afraid.
- Are you afraid of honestly being who you are? Who better else to be you, than YOU?!
So you see??? You can use fear – don’t let fear use you. Let fear be your compass that tells you where to go (unless, of course, it leads you to mortal danger ☺).
Here is a secret folks. EVERYONE has fears. I imagine that, to some extent, those fears are very similar to yours. We are all parts to one and are in this together -- so do not feel alone. Take courageous action, the universe (including ME) has your back. Push fear aside and visualize yourself fierce.
To be completely honest with you, I was fearful of writing this newsletter. I was afraid that I was not “ready” because I had some health scares over the summer which made me question my own authenticity. Here I am, a certified integrative holistic health coach and I felt horrible. I couldn't write about being healthy and feeling great when I was not feeling myself; but I asked myself the question – what am I really afraid of????? The truth is that we are all human. No one is perfect and yes, my body was talking to me. It was a good wake up because our body is always changing as our minds and our lives should. I hope this note from me inspires you to acknowledge your fears and GROW from them. You may discover the incredible power and inner strength that lies within the best you. Unlock your fears and and start to express your ultimate potential in health, well being, happiness and wealth.
The fact is that fear is a bit of a liar. Most often, fear is not based on reality – it is often based on misconception, expectation and other untruths. An illusion in your own mind and YOU can dismiss it. I encourage you to be honest with yourself – be present – and think about the reality of what is making you afraid. You are ready, you are good enough, you do deserve it! Be fearless in pursuit of your own happiness. Your present circumstance does not determine your future. It is merely a starting line.
Stop being fearful and start being FIERCE!
What scary action are you going to take?