Making Mushroom Tea
Using the equivalent of 1 teaspoon of dried mushroom to 1c water,
- Add the mushrooms to water on a pot on the stove
- Bring up to a boil
- Lower heat and simmer for at least 30 mins (up to several hours!)
- Strain and enjoy
You can also reuse the fruitbodies for another batch of tea. They're best if used within a day. You can also add other herbs and spices, like ginger, licorice, or cinnamon to suit your taste.
Mushroom Tinctures: Double Extraction Method
Mushroom tinctures are made using a double-extraction technique. First, the alcohol extracts the constituents that are not soluble in water, like sterols & terpenes. After the mushrooms have been extracted in alcohol, it goes through a hot water extraction or decoction process to extract the beta-glucans, proteoglycans, and other immune-supporting polysaccharides. The below steps outline the double extraction process using the folk method of tincturing. (For more detailed recipes and ratios, see Christopher Hobbs' book Medicinal Mushrooms.)
Part 1: Alcohol extraction
Break the fruitbodies up into the smallest pieces possible. This makes for a larger surface area and thorough extraction. (It's easier to do this while before drying.)
- Fill a quart or half-gallon canning jar halfway with the dried mushroom.
- Add the vodka (about 50% alcohol), filling the jar to the top. Label it!
- Cap the jar and keep it in a warm, dark place for 4 to 6 weeks. Agitate daily.
- After about a month strain the mixture using cheesecloth, coffee filters, or a strainer.Try straining a few times to really remove all the solids.
Part 2: Hot water extraction
- Take the alcohol-soaked mushroom pieces that are left over after straining (called the marc) and put them in a pot. Cover them with water--twice as much as the alcohol you have.
- Simmer for 2 hours. The water will evaporate throughout this time.
- Allow the tea to cool before you strain it. Discard all the solids but water.
- Add this water to an equal amount of the alcohol extract. This gives you an extract that's 25% alcohol, as the vodka was 100 proof to begin with (50% water/50% alcohol).
You may need to do some measuring before you boil the water to make sure you have enough. Gauge the amount of liquid used in your first alcohol tincture and boil at least triple that amount of water for the hot water extraction. It may seem like a lot but it will reduce (you can always keep boiling if it doesn't).