The City of West Palm Beach
discussed the FY20-21 preliminary budget
at this week's City Commission meeting. The City is proposing that that the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach make a 30% cut to its budget.
This cut would mean laying off 12.5 full-time employees and 12 library pages (on-call/part-time staff members).
You can watch the entire Commission Meeting and budget discussion by clicking
For comparison, according to the proposed preliminary budget, the Library will have the highest percentage in reduction of any City department with a -33.4% totaling ($1,634,743.00)
The Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach helps over 760,000 people each year!
The past few months have proven that the Library is more important than ever,
providing critical resources, programs and services to our community. Our dedicated librarians have adapted and worked to help and inspire patrons during the coronavirus pandemic with essential virtual programs like tutoring, job help, and more. Library services are an essential part of a robust recovery!
Please follow us on social media for updates and share how to help on your pages to support YOUR city library and its dedicated staff.
We are asking you to support YOUR City Library and the staff who create all of the vital community programs. Please contact the Mayor, City Administrators, and all the City Commissioners and encourage them not to cut these valuable positions and programs. You may contact them via direct mail, email, and phone calls, as well as leave a voicemail, or attend the next Commission meeting on Monday, August 24.
PLEASE REACH OUT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
The City will present the FY21 proposed budget at the August 24th
City Commission meeting.
City of West Palm Beach
401 Clematis Street
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Mayor Keith James
Assistant City Administrator (supervises library)
Kelly Shoaf, District 1 Commissioner
Cory Neering, District 2 Commissioner
Christy Fox, District 3 Commissioner
(The Mandel Public Library resides in this district)
Joseph Peduzzi, District 4 Commissioner
Christina Lambert, District 5 Commissioner
LET CITY OFFICIALS HEAR YOUR VOICE
Tell them why the library is important and to reconsider their funding choices for next year. Below are some points of discussion you can use:
- We ask that the City fairly and proportionally allocate funding for the Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach for FY20-21.
- The Mandel Public Library is invaluable to residents and visitors of the City of West Palm Beach, providing engaging, educational, and life-changing programs and resources to our community members.
- Library programs and resources are helping with our social and economic recovery providing much needed literacy and reading development, tutoring and homework help, job training and career assistance, health and wellness programs and much more.
- The Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach serves many lower income populations and these budget cuts would greatly impact the most vulnerable residents of our community.
- The Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach has seen an increase in usage over the past few months, with dedicated staff reworking and continuing to provide much-needed programs, resources and materials to kids, teens, families, adults, and seniors at home.
The Mandel Public Library makes a significant difference for thousands of people each day. Your supports helps us create an inspired community where children excel and adults thrive.
The library is much more than books! Your support ensures we can continue the critical and life-changing programs for kids, teens, and adults that allow our community members to succeed, including:
Together with your support, the West Palm Beach Library Foundation works to ensure that the Library can continue to provide free quality programs, services and resources that enrich and strengthen our diverse community.
- Afterschool Homework Centers (Children & Teens)
- Children’s Summer Learning
- Summer Reading Programs
- Early Literacy Programs
- Teen College Prep
- Job Training Programs
- Technology Classes
- Art, Fitness & Health Classes
- Adult Programs – Educational, cultural and entertainment