From our CEO
Welcome to the first edition of our newsletter. I would like to take this opportunity to share with you a brief overview of the work that we have been doing.
We held our Annual General Meeting on 16th October, where we amended our Constitution to broaden our membership criteria to include national organisations representing people with intellectual disability, children, and carers & family members. Please follow the link to read our Current Constitution,
We welcomed new Director, Debbie Kennewell from Deaf Australia, and welcomed back Nick Rushworth, Frank Hall-Bentick, and John Simpson to our Board for another two year term. The Board re-appointed Richard Dent from Leadership Victoria as a co-opted Director for a further twelve months. AFDO is very fortunate to have a Board with such vast experience in the disability sector. I have listed our new Board below, and you can learn more about each of our Board members by reading the Board member profiles.
Current AFDO Board members
- Liz Reid (Physical Disability Australia) – Chair & President
- Trevor Carroll (Disability Justice Advocacy) – Deputy Chair & International Representative
- Frank Hall-Bentick (Disability Resources Centre) – Treasurer & International Coordinator
- Peter Miller (Deafness Forum of Australia)
- Nick Rushworth (Brain Injury Australia)
- John Simpson (Blind Citizens Australia)
- Debbie Kennewell (Deaf Australia)
- Richard Dent (Co-opted Director)
Below is information on our recent Information Forum which we held immediately following our AGM, as well updates on our work in the areas of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), Employment, and Policy, Advocacy & Research. For a more comprehensive report on our work over the past twelve months, please have a read of our 2016 – 2017 Annual Report.
The team at AFDO are continuing to work hard to support our Board and members to deliver on our vision and mission. You can learn more about our team here.
On behalf of everyone at AFDO, I wish you a restful and happy holiday season and look forward to your continued support in the new year.