Don't Skip Out
Earlier this week during an event at SXSW I found myself talking with a group of young entrepreneurs and one of the issues most of them struggled with was the awkwardness of self promotion. When you do your own marketing it feels like you're pushing yourself and your business on to people and it can be a little awkward. This is one of the main reasons why I recommend outsourcing your marketing tasks. Not only will you be able to get rid of that awkwardness but you'll have someone that truly specializes in marketing and can execute it in a way that you may not have been able to on your own.
Here are some tips for picking and working with the right marketing firm/consultant:
- Make sure that they understand the industry that you're in. Many of the big marketing firms don't focus on niche or unique markets and often don't do a good job of representing the business accurately because that.
- If you can meet with or talk to the team members working on your marketing strategy and campaign, DO IT! Make sure that the people that are working to represent your company are a good fit for you and your business vision.
- If they don't have data...dump 'em! A good marketing professional always starts with research and data collection.
- Measurables and deliverables are EVERYTHING! The purpose of marketing isn't just to get exposure but to generate revenue. If they can't tell you how their strategy and tactics will generate the results you want, there's an issue.
- It's an investment! Some companies don't see the value in paying for marketing help, but it really is a necessary investment for the success of your business. Go ahead and make that jump, you'll be glad that you did!
- If you don't like their ideas or strategy let them know. If you don't understand why they're doing something a certain way, feel free to ask questions. Building trust with a marketing firm/consultant takes time and in the beginning you will have questions. Don't hesitate to ask them and get clarification.
- Most importantly, work with a company you like. The better the working relationship the better the results. Everything always boils down to relationships so take your time picking who you want to help you.
Need help creating the perfect strategic marketing plan for your business? Fill out this form and receive a FREE marketing proposal!