The deadline for reporting 2015 nationally accredited training activity (AVETMISS data) to NCVER was 29 February 2016. Thank you to all registered training organisations (RTOs) who met this deadline. We have now notified the national VET regulator(s) of RTOs who successfully reported by the due date.
The AVETMISS classifications and validation rules will be updated on 18 March 2016. For more details, please refer to the ‘Updates to classifications and validation rules’ section once logged in to the AVETMISS Validation Software (AVS). A history of past AVS updates can be found here.
Did you know you can validate your data using AVS throughout the year? By validating regularly you can fix errors as you go.
We found many RTOs were caught out this year as they left their reporting to the last minute and under
-estimated how long it took to identify and fix errors.
Validating data and fixing errors throughout the year also means that our small Client Support team can give you more in-depth assistance, which they may not be able to do during the final weeks of the submission period.
To ensure that your RTO is aware of activity around AVETMISS reporting, please share this Data Support Bulletin with others responsible for reporting AVETMISS data in your organisation. They can also subscribe to future updates and alerts.
This year, the reasons for most calls to Client Support were:
- registration related
- not having sufficient privileges (all user roles) to finalise their submission
- not being able to finalise submission as government-funded activity was included (either because it was reported to a State or Territory Training Authority and not removed or because of incorrect coding)
- fixing errors on the Client Postal (NAT00085) file. This file is not required for activity reported direct to NCVER
- Unique Student Identifier (USI) errors - RTOs need to verify the USI on the USI website before validating in AVS.
For more details on these issues and how to resolve them, please refer to our range of fact sheets and other materials which are available on the AVETMISS support page of the NCVER Portal.
In 2015, NCVER conducted a survey asking for your feedback on the AVETMIS Standard for VET Providers. Your feedback is feeding into our review of the Standard, which will continue until June 2016.
Some of the changes already agreed will result in updates to the current VET Provider Standard (Release 7.0). The bulk of the changes will form a new release of the VET Provider Standard which will come into effect in 2018 (Release 7.1).
Changes for Release 7.0
Later in 2016, NCVER will be releasing minor updates to the AVETMISS VET Provider Collection specifications 7.0 and the AVETMISS Data element definitions: edition 2.2.
These updates will consist of:
- Identification of fields, which will appear on USI transcripts.
- The continuing outcome codes (90—Not yet available at interim collection) and (70 —continuing enrolment) will be collapsed into a single code (70 —continuing enrolment). This will take effect from 1 January 2017 and remove the need to change continuing outcome codes across years.
- Validation changes to some program and subject fields. These forthcoming changes have been detailed in the AVS update information.
Release 7.1 – in effect from 1 January 2018
More significant changes will form part of Release 7.1 of the VET Provider Standard, which will come into effect from 1 January 2018. A What’s Changing? support document detailing all of the changes for Release 7.1 will be available from mid-2016 with new Standard documentation available later in the year.