Dear Friend of Montclair Railroad Trail:
Thanks to your ongoing generosity, membership and support, 2015 was another banner year for the trail. Together, we devoted an impressive 876 volunteer hours to trail improvements, restoration, enjoyment and maintenance. Among the myriad of accomplishments:
• Mitigated a flooding hazard near the Cortereal entrance by installing jute, wattles and camouflaged sandbags around an open drain. So far, so good! With additional donations, we will add native wildflowers and other plants to the area to further prevent hill erosion and to visually improve the space
• Installed a new bench near the mid-point of the trail
• Painted over graffiti on wood panels at trail entrances
• Regularly picked up trash, fallen limbs, and dog waste, and refilled dog waste stations with earth-rated bags donated by Pet Food Express
• Repaired problem pavement with purchased asphalt
• Created and distributed an email alert to trail users, including links to educational sites, about potentially toxic mushrooms
To see the complete list of projects, programs and volunteer activities you helped us accomplish in 2015, please click here: http://www.montclairrrtrail.org/2015-accomplishments.html
We've already kicked off 2016 in a big way, putting in nearly 100 newly donated native plants along three trail entrances and installing our first-ever "Montclair Railroad Trail" sign at the top of La Salle Avenue. These are just two examples of the many enhancements and improvements still to come. By joining, volunteering and donating – and encouraging others in the community to do similarly – we hope to continue making the trail, and your experience on it, ever better.
Thanks for all. We're looking forward to a safe, happy and rewarding year with you.
Barbara, Henry, Lin, Jeff, Valerie and Bernadette
Friends of Montclair Railroad Trail