February 27, 2021
This is how we winter in Texas.
This is how we winter in Texas
- Go birding with your loved ones.
- Try not to worry about how the cold affects the worms and the creatures who love them. Or about the geese who can’t handle the Iowa cold. Or about a baby bird getting eaten by a fish.
- Stew about the Texas power grid. “Point of Order: The Outage and the Outrage" is an excellent analysis of what happened last week (45-minute podcast by the Texas Tribune.)
- Fret with Aldo Leopold about the spiritual dangers of not owning a farm.
- Feel joy and hope as loved ones get the vaccine, as captured in this Washington Post article.
- Dream of living on the road. I really liked Nomadland, a movie directed by Chloe Zhao. Props to South Dakota for spectacular scenery. For a different perspective, read Lara Prescott’s take on RV life. Prescott is the author of The Secrets We Kept, a highly entertaining spy novel/homage to Russian literature/historical romance.
- Identifying as a birder, in all its dorkiness and with all of its difficulties.
- When you can’t be outside birding, get lost in Audubon’s The Joy of Birding.
Thanks for reading. If you are enjoying Whoop Jenny!, please forward this newsletter to a friend.
If you're seeing this newsletter for the first time, you can read previous issues and subscribe here.