January 30, 2021
Birds and words from home and abroad
Here are some things I noted this week:
- The On Being studio is located on Dakota land in Minneapolis. Tippet tells Lanham that no one taught her about the birds of the area. Lanham assures her there is no shame in not knowing the name of a bird. Maybe Krista would like this guide to Minnesota Bird Song that my friend Carol shared with me.
- Speaking of Minneapolitans, here’s a thread on Prince as birds that just might be the best thing ever on Twitter.
- Today’s poets use words with such artistry and musicality, composing surprising rhymes and alliteration and performing them with a spellbinding pulse and roll. I was thinking of this when I came across two video clips of rappers at work:
- Dispatch from London, where my son is going to school:
- Brexit has caused the price of Pringles to go up, from £1.25 to £2.65.
- London received a rare blanket of snow. He sent me a picture of Hyde Park (at top). I like the way the BoJo bike stands out in the dreary snowy landscape.
Thanks for reading. If you are enjoying Whoop Jenny!, please forward this newsletter to a friend.
If you're seeing this newsletter for the first time, you can read previous issues and subscribe here.