Latest news on Minet Library and Archives
up coming dates:
Saturday 11th June 2pm to 4pm:
Gardening outside the library allows us to put down roots around the building. Show your support for the campaign by contributing whatever you can whether it's help in the garden, live music, a cake or just catching up on the latest news and giving your ideas. Just turn up
Monday 13th June 7-8pm public meeting at Minet Archive:
planning next steps in the campaign to save the library and archive. Have your say on the options appraisal being done by consultants on where the lambeth archive should go.
Friends of Minet Library representatives met the leader of the council Lib Peck then local councillors Paul Gadsby and Jacqui Dyer. This is a summary of our meeting:
Future of Minet: Key points
- The Archives are a central resource and asset for Vassall and their retention within the current Minet building has the strong potential to draw in extra revenue/resources that secures the site for the long term use of local residents. In particular, the Friends believe that they can mount a successful bid for Heritage Lottery funding to further develop the site if the archives remain at their current location.
- A key element of this has to be that the site is not leased to GLL, as this would effectively undermine the Heritage Lottery bid.
- The Friends believe that if a "breathing space" can be provided in the short term they can mount a successful bid and in addition further develop the plans they have already put forward to develop the site via the HLF and housing, which could also contribute to a viable library service. In the short term, this does mean the site would remain as it currently is while these plans are being developed.
- As part of this the Friends would like a proper re-examination of the Barnes proposal, taking into account the need for proper democratic accountability and involvement, and a steering group to be set up to take forward the project while the "breathing space" occurs. No lease to be signed with GLL for any libraries until this process has been resolved.
- The position of Lambeth Archivists does need to be reassessed
Archive options appraisal:
Lambeth has appointed consultants to look into options for the location of the archive. They will be consulting people across Lambeth over the next few months about the needs that the archive meet. They are meeting representatives of Friends of Minet Library on Tuesday to talk about our plans for bringing in funds to support the development of the archive and to hear why we think it should stay in its current location. Hear about this and feed back to us about what we should be saying at the Monday night meeting.
If you need a bit of inspiration, you can see what other MailChimp users are doing, or learn about email design and blaze your own trail.