Farmer Health E-News
Find out all the latest from the National Centre for Farmer Health
Run 4 Farmer Health - Sunday 16th October
Over 80 runners today - let's make 100! Still time to register
Dust off your running shoes, limber up and carry that positive energy from the Rio Olympics into this year’s Run 4 Farmer Health at the Melbourne Marathon. All year the team here at the NCFH have been beavering away delivering award winning health and lifestyle assessments as well as undertaking internationally renowned evidence based research. All in the name of enhancing the lives of rural Australia’s most important asset – our farmers.
Events range from a leisurely 3km walk, right through to a full marathon and everything in between. When you sign up by September 5 you can get your own Run 4 Farmer Health T-shirt. Not able to make it? Show your support by making a donation.
Interested? Read more
Supporting the health and wellbeing of Dairy Farmers
In North East Victoria
NCFH is delivering ‘Understanding and Supporting the Wellbeing of Farming Families’ workshops in the Ovens and Kiewa Valley. These Look Over the Farm Gate (LOTFG) workshops are free and designed for farmers and service agencies supporting farmers during tough times. Workshops run for approximately 2.5 hours and have been scheduled for:
- Oxley – 27th September (evening session)
- Tallangatta – 28th September (morning session)
- Wodonga – 28th September (afternoon session)
To book your place in a workshop, contact Lachlan Campbell at the North East Catchment Management Authority by phone: 0400 852 482 or email: email@example.com
For more information about workshop content, contact Alison Kennedy at the NCFH by phone: 5551 8587 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested? Read more
South Gippsland Dairy Expo — 28/29 September
While you are having some time off farm, come and have a free 20-minute farmer health and lifestyle assessment? We are teaming up with Rural Finance at the South Gippsland Dairy Expo, Korumburra at site 77.
Our farmer health checks are designed to help farmers take control of their health and raise awareness of the preventative health and wellbeing options available. Farmers love them as all our health professionals are familiar with farming and agriculture.
WE will also be at the Elmore Field Days, so come and see the friendly team at either or both sites and invest in the most important asset of your agricultural business (YOU)!
Interested? Read more & check out our farmer health video
Visit our support page for useful links and our free "Managing Stress on the Farm" book Click here
We're also at Elmore Field Days — 4/5/6 October with Rural Bank
Each Wednesday we feature a Farmer Health fact sheet from www.farmerhealth.org.au on Facebook and Twitter as part of “Wellness Wednesday”. These fact sheets are a useful resource to keep you on top of your game! You asked for a quick recap so here it is!!
Interested? Read more fact sheets
- Stress and Farming - The added pressures of managing a farm during difficult times like floods, market fluctuations or droughts can sometimes seem overwhelming. Read more: http://bit.ly/1QsK3sP
- Crush Injuries - Crush injuries occur when a part of the body, like a hand, arm, leg, foot or trunk is squashed. Read more: http://bit.ly/1Rh1FuY
- Machinery - Farm machinery is associated with approximately 35% of traumatic deaths on farms in Australia. Read more: http://bit.ly/1T0wVlB
- Eye Injury – something in your eye - DO NOT RUB YOUR EYE if you get something in it! This may scratch your eye or embed the object. Read more: http://bit.ly/1lN4vNm
- Farmers Lung - Farmer’s lung is a serious respiratory condition also known as hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Read more: http://bit.ly/1T0x60h