Farmer Health E-News
Find out all the latest from the National Centre for Farmer Health
Do you want to fulfil your dream of doing a PhD
Are you looking for PhD funding?
Application deadline: 31-Aug-2016
We are offering 2 PhD Scholarships for 3 years ($26,288 per annum)
Contact: Clinical Associate Professor Susan Brumby via firstname.lastname@example.org or (03) 5551 8533; or Dr Muhammad Aziz Rahman via email@example.com or (03) 5247 9532
- Role of female leadership in building healthy and sustainable agricultural communities: The project aims to investigate the pathways they have followed to their current positions and their roles as leaders in building healthy and sustainable agricultural communities. Interested? Read more
- Challenges in health care for Victorian farm communities: This study will examine the challenges of receiving health care among the farm communities in Western Victoria specifically focusing on basic health services (including prevention), maternity, hospital in home provision and service from NGO's. Interested? Read more
We are coming to WA! Check your No.1 Farming asset - YOU! @ Dowerin Field Days 24 & 25 August
The National Centre for Farmer Health have been providing free Health and Lifestyle Assessments at farmer gatherings since 2009. These enable farm men, women and agricultural workers to access and meet with health professionals trained in agricultural health and medicine whilst having a social day out.
We are teaming up with Rural Bank at the Dowerin Field Days WA on 24 & 25 August. Come and invest in the most important aspect of your agricultural business (YOU) with a free health and lifestyle assessment.
Remember we are at Sheepvention too - 1 & 2 August at site 55
Interested? Read more & check out our video
Suicide in farming communities affects us ALL!
We CAN do something about it.
Very few people in the rural farming community haven’t been affected by suicide in some way. Since the launch of www.therippleeffect.com.au on June 30th, community interest and support has been fantastic, with almost 2000 different people visiting the website to help address rural suicide. If every person who has been affected by suicide in some way REGISTERs and PARTICIPATEs through www.therippleeffect.com.au we can develop better ways to support people affected by suicide in our rural farming communities. Participating in www.therippleeffect.com.au takes around 2.5-4 hours to complete and you can return to where you left off at any time. Register now
Interested? Read more
Each Wednesday we feature a Farmer Health fact sheet from www.farmerhealth.org.au on Facebook and Twitter as part of “Wellness Wednesday”. These fact sheets are a useful resource to keep you on top of your game! You asked for a quick recap so here it is!!
Interested? Read more fact sheets
- Farmers Footwear – Winter is the time when you are at risk of slips, trips and falls. Read more about safe footwear: http://bit.ly/1OSjkbf
- Chemicals – Safe Handling - With the cropping season well on its way there is an increased demand to handle and apply agri chemicals. Learn more about safe handling: http://bit.ly/29pPOPO
- Chemicals – Spray Drift - Chemicals are extensively used in agriculture and can drift over neighbours, waterways and water tanks affecting human, animal and environmental health. Read more: http://bit.ly/29Jw19J
- Farming can be dangerous - Farmers have a higher risk of experiencing a serious or fatal workplace injury as well as higher risk of serious disease, mental illness and suicide. Read more: http://bit.ly/1QTRhXu