There are 2 new research publications from Farmer Health this month.
A Pest to Mental Health?:
A literature review exploring the links between agrichemical exposure and mental health. Congratulations to our Deakin medical student Nufail Khan for his great contribution to this research.
Suicide in Farming Communities:
A peer-reviewed article about the experience of bereavement following suicide and/or accidental death for Australia’s farming families. This article draws on in-depth interviews and highlights the importance of cultural, social, geographical and psychological factors influencing the experience of bereavement.
For more information and links to the publications,Click here
Thanks to the Victorian Government and the Drought Preparedness and Support Package, we are able to support farmers and rural communities within Victoria experiencing drought and dry conditions.
There are several ways to access support:
1. Have a free 20-minute health and lifestyle assessment including cholesterol, blood glucose and blood pressure readings along with diabetes risk and more at ...
- Mallee Machinery Field Days, Speed VIC; 31 July-1 August, Site 130
- Or contact us to organise a session with your farming community
2. Host an event where we can deliver interactive education sessions on health, wellbeing and safety issues facing farmers and agricultural workers.
3. Attend a free AgriSafe™ clinic at Shepparton, Numurkah or Nathalia.
Earlier this month the NCFH lodged a submission to the Quad Bike Taskforce at the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. The submission supports the introduction of mandatory crush protection and improved safety standards on quad bikes to reduce the risk of death and injury.
To read more about the Taskforce and the evidence provided by the NCFH to support this submission Click here
Each Wednesday we feature a Farmer Health fact sheet from www.farmerhealth.org.au on Facebook and Twitter. These fact sheets are a useful resource to keep you on top of your game! You asked for a quick recap so here it is!