Today, let's focus on where we find our identity.
Find a quiet space. Sit up tall, and close your eyes. Set a timer for one to two minutes per movement so that you can be fully present (or increase the time if you want a longer experience).
First, pay attention to God.
Take slow, deep breaths. Focus on the spot that you feel the breath in your body.
- As you breathe in, think, "Christ in me..."
- As you breathe out, think, "... I'm in Christ" (Galatians 2:20).
Second, ponder your inner world.
Process the following with Jesus:
- Where am I searching for identity (in what I have, what I do, or how others view me)?
- How can I more open-handedly receive my identity as a child of God (John 1:12-13)?
Third, prepare to love others.
Ask Jesus to help you answer the following:
- Who can I remind of their true identity in Jesus this week?
- What obstacles do I need to overcome to share this good news?
A closing prayer:
Father, I am yours. Let me rest in that!
Nothing I do can change your Fatherly love for me. I am yours despite the good or the bad I've done.
Holy Spirit, pour out the Father's love in my heart. Let me know in mind, body, and soul that your love for me defines me most.
Jesus, forgive me for creating identities apart from you. Help me respond to your love at the cross with a life of love for God and neighbor.
Let your love control and compel me in all that I do.
Peace be with you until next week,
I'd love to connect with you on Facebook or Twitter.
If you're wondering, this is why I lead you to focus on your breath.
If you missed last week’s article, check out Grow Your EQ.
If you enjoyed this experience, share it so that others can too.