Today, let's focus on the fear we experience and God's caring antidote.
Find a quiet space. Sit up tall, and close your eyes. Set a timer for one to two minutes per movement so that you can be fully present (or increase the time if you want a longer experience).
First, pay attention to God.
Take slow, deep breaths. Focus on the spot that you feel the breath in your body.
- As you breathe in, think, "Perfect love..."
- As you breathe out, think, "... casts out fear" (1 John 4:18).
Second, ponder your inner world.
Process the following with Jesus:
- Where do I feel fear in my body — Strained shoulders/neck? Shortness of breath? Tight chest? Headache?
- Breathing deep and focusing on that area, rehearse who you are in Jesus (I'm loved, a child of God, God's treasured possession, safe in Christ, etc.).
Third, prepare to love others.
Ask Jesus to help you answer the following:
- What loving actions have I hesitated to do because of fear?
- How can God's perfect love compel me to love others this week?
A closing prayer:
Father, you are love. Jesus, you proved the Father's love at the cross. Holy Spirit, you pour the Father's love into my heart.
God, I need your love! Too many fears and concerns keep me from you. And those fears make me skeptical of others.
Open my heart to experience your love that casts out fear. Open my hands to love others without fear.
Peace be with you until next week,
I'd love to connect with you on Facebook or Twitter.
If you're wondering, this is why I lead you to focus on your breath.
If you missed last week’s article, check out a Free Devotion.
If you enjoyed this experience, share it so that others can too.