California Academic & Research Libraries

Winter 2020 Newsletter (Volume 42, Issue 1) 


Table of Contents

President's Message
CARL Business
People and Places News
Board Meeting Notes
About the Newsletter

ACRL chapter logo
CARL Leadership 2018

Kelly Janousek
CSU Long Beach

Rachel Jaffe
UC Santa Cruz

Lalitha Nataraj
CSU San Marcos

Yen Tran
San Jose State University

Andrew Carlos
Cal State East Bay

Lucy Bellamy

Mario Macias
Pierce College

Margot Hanson
CSU Maritime Academy

Ken Lyons
UC Santa Cruz

Samantha Alfrey
Occidental College

Melissa Cardenas-Dow
Sacramento State University

Ethan Annis

Dominican University

President's Message         

Thoughts from our President, Kelly Janousek

Kelly JanousekGreetings and thank you to all you in CARL for uplifting me professionally and keeping me engaged. I have come full circle in my CARL life.  Way back when I started at California State University, Long Beach, a colleague quickly got me engaged in CARL, especially the ABLE (Academic Business Librarians Exchange) interest group. Many conferences, leadership offices, awards and interest group events later I decided to run for the CARL president office. What a great way to ease out of my career!

Now to my shouting of how great CARL is!!! The CARL Conference registration is open – April 1-3, 2020 at the Hilton Orange County – Costa Mesa. The keynote speakers are La Loria Konata and Brooke Binkowski, who will contest our ideals as librarians. We will hear from Research Awardees, panels and interest groups and much more. Please think about attending, early bird registration end March 6, 2020. On another note, the CARL Conference 2020 Committee is looking for your sponsorship to help defray conference costs or help with childcare or conference expenses for our colleagues who are limited budgets. So, when you register consider an additional months cost of Starbucks (3 per week x 4 weeks x $3.75 = $45) donation (just a suggestion, $20 will do nicely).

A couple of goals during the next year include updating CARL’s web and social media’s presence (anyone want to help???). Work on instituting our new Bylaws, Standing Rules and Racial Justice ideals. Finally, invigorating our interest groups to allow programming of specific interests to our members. For example, SEAL (Science and Engineering Librarians) is reestablishing and looking for members to help connect and create programming in STEM. Watch for more details.

I am honored to serve as your chapter’s president and hope I can count on you for continued support of this great organization.  Happy Holiday season and best in 2020.

Reading: Nora Roberts, High Noon (2007) – the western High Noon meets a hostage negotiator. Much like her J.D. Robb, futurist detective series. Ibram X. Kendi, How to be an Antiracist (2019) – this book makes me think about what an antiracist society might look like, and how I can play an active role in building it.

Watching: The rerun of the Dick Van Dyke Show (1961-1966) on Decades. What can I say the comedy was and is – just giggly funny. Decades inserts commentary about what Carl Reiner was trying to achieve with this sitcom.


Dave Drexler
CSU Fresno

Lindsey Shively
Mills College

A. Lee Adams
CSU East Bay
CARL Business           

Interest Groups

ALIGN Academic Librarians Interest Group- North

ALIGN’s 2019 summer field trip took place on 20th September at UC Davis, comprising tours of the Robert Mondavi Institute for Wine and Food Science and the food and wine special collections in UCD’s Shields Library.

Professor and Mondavi Institute Director Andrew Waterhouse began the morning session with an overview of the creation of the Institute. Following the introductory remarks at the Institute’s Sensory Lab, attendees toured the Institute’s complex of buildings and grounds: the Good Life Garden edible landscape; the Viticulture and Enology department’s Teaching Vineyard; and the LEED Platinum certified Teaching and Research Winery—alas, no tasting allowed. The final stop of the morning tour was a visit to the Institute’s Special Collections Room, featuring floor-to-ceiling racks of rare, unique, and historic wines.  

Following lunch, the afternoon session was held in the campus’s Peter J. Shields Library, guided by Agriculture, Food, and Wine subject librarian Axel Borg. The portion of the collection the group toured provides, in open stacks, an extensive selection of research resources on winegrowing and winemaking for students, faculty, and researchers. 

The library’s Archives and Special Collections was the final stop of the afternoon. Axel and Special Collections Assistant Jenny Hodge provided many rare and historic books and documents for attendees to examine and appreciate, offering details of their acquisition and maintenance.

The size, quality, and uniqueness of the collections is truly impressive. The Shields Library has created a treasure for anyone wishing to conduct research in the areas of wine, food, and agriculture.

ALIGN owes a debt of gratitude to Professor Andy Waterhouse for his generous provision of time, to Axel Borg for his expertise, conviviality, and invaluable assistance in arranging the tour, and to attendee Jan Jackett (CSU East Bay) for her journalistic acumen in crafting this report. See the ALIGN Events page for pictures from the field trip!

SCIL Southern California Instruction Librarians

Join us for our annual SCIL Works 2020 workshop: Disaster Planning: Bouncing Back From Instruction Fail.

Friday January 17th, 2020 at CSU Long Beach in Long Beach, CA. This annual mini-conference offers librarians the opportunity to share their best practices, innovative pedagogy, and creative solutions with colleagues. SCIL Works 2020 will focus on the many ways in which instruction librarians have adapted and bounced back from lesson plans that didn’t quite work as expected. More information can be found on our

SCIL Summer Outing-
This summer SCIL members had their annual summer outing at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in Yorba Linda, CA. There, members looked for ways to incorporate primary sources in their instruction while also being wowed by the artifacts from the Apollo missions. Learn about future SCIL outings at the
SCIL Listserv.

CARL Conference Showcase-
SCIL will be participating in the 2020 CARL Conference in Costa Mesa, CA. A call for presenters will be sent out shortly. Subscribe to the SCIL Listserv to stay up to date with our planning.

Remembering Gayatri        
In lieu of our Member of the Quarter feature, we have a special remembrance of CARL Board member Gayatri Singh, by Lalitha Nataraj (CSUSM University Library)

Lali and GuyI first met Gayatri Singh in 2004, when we both worked at the  UC Irvine Libraries; I was a library assistant enrolled in the LIS program at UCLA and she had just graduated from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill with her MSLS. In Gayatri, I found a kindred spirit who unabashedly celebrated her desi identity and encouraged others to live their truths, professionally and personally. She was the friend and colleague who disavowed artifice and would straight up tell folx that life was too short for us to be anything but ourselves. Though our careers took us in different directions--I became a public librarian in San Diego County and she was the Reference and Information Services Coordinator/Communication Liaison for UC San Diego Library--we kept in touch via social media, gelato and coffee dates, and conference meet-ups. In fact, we always joked about how several of our get-togethers (including seeing Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor) occurred at American Library Association conferences, hundreds of miles from home. No matter, because we could pick up right where we left off, and that was mostly because Gayatri remembered everything about me, including my kids’ favorite foods or a recent vacation I took. In many ways, I saw her as my library ‘big sister’, because, yes, while she would tease me, she also substantively and materially supported my dream of transitioning to full-time work in academic libraries. In 2016, Gayatri pulled together a group of desi librarians/archivists to write a chapter for Pushing the Margins (eds. Annie Pho and Rose L. Chou) focusing on South Asian Americans in LIS. This project connected the four of us (Gayatri, Nisha, Aditi, and myself) in profound ways--our paper was a critical space to openly share our complicated experiences while also serving as a call to action to our desi siblings to join the LIS profession, and agitate for social change within it. It also says a lot about Gayatri that she was willing to collaborate with public librarians on scholarship; because of her, I felt as though my ideas were salient and valid. If it wasn’t for Gayatri, I would not have had the courage to continuously engage in social justice work in LIS.

Gayatri’s compassion was boundless and she worked tirelessly to make everyone around her feel included and seen. In late August 2019, we co-hosted an intimate gathering at her parents’ house in North County San Diego for library workers of color and their families with the goal of creating a safe, welcoming community. Aunty Nirmala, Gayatri’s mom, prepared chaat (Indian street snacks) and a sumptuous Indian dinner for all the guests--it was pretty spectacular. Despite having just met that day, our mothers chatted away on the sofa as though they’d known each other for years, while their daughters stood a few feet away grinning, and maybe a little too proud of themselves. As afternoon turned to dusk, kids and adults alike were encouraged to nibble on figs from Gayatri’s parents’ couldn’t have asked for a more perfect day.

I am left bereft by Gayatri’s sudden passing, because she was such an inspiring advocate for parity, diversity, and inclusion for those underrepresented in librarianship, and overall in higher education. She lived and breathed these values, and consequently, many of us are better for it. Selfishly, I am heartbroken that the two of us won’t have an opportunity to explore, on a deeper level, questions of identity and belonging among South Asian Americans in LIS, something we had long talked about. More than that, I just miss laughing with her about the appropriate spiciness of samosas and chutney, and chatting about what desi fashion we could wear during a presentation. I took these moments for granted, and now I replay them over and over again, wishing I could hear her voice one last time. What keeps me from being completely mired in sadness is that Gayatri left precious tools to continue the important work. Through her service, empathy, and genuine regard for others’ well-being, Gayatri created spaces where people could be their best selves and inspire the same in those around them.

Rest in peace, akka.
 People and Places News                


Lindsay Davis, formerly Instruction & Outreach Librarian at the University of California Merced, returned to Merced College as a Reference Librarian in August. 

Megan Donnelly joined The Claremont Colleges Library in August 2019 as a Teaching and Outreach Librarian. She completed her BA with Millersville University of Pennsylvania and earned her MSLIS from Drexel University. While completing her MSLIS, Megan worked as Access Services Intern at the University of Pennsylvania. Afterwards, she held the position of Adjunct Research Librarian/Instructor before filling her current position. Megan previously served on the board of ACRL Delaware Valley Chapter as Blog Editor and published a
guest post for ACRLog’s First Year Academic Librarian series.

Publications, Presentations & Awards
Dahlen, S.P.C., Haeger, H., Hanson, K., & Montellano, M. (in press). Almost in the Wild: Student Search Behaviors When Librarians Aren't Looking. Journal of Academic Librarianship. doi: 10.1016/j.acalib.2019.102096

In February, Lindsay Davis, formerly at UC Merced and now at Merced College, presented a lightning talk, "Fiat Lux + UC Merced Library: A First-Generation Workshop Series," at SCIL Works 2019. The slides are available at In May, Lindsay presented another lighting talk, "Bias in Your Search Results: A Partial 'Jigsaw' Activity," at the California Conference on Library Instruction 2019; the slides and lesson plan are available at

Julia Gelfand, Applied Sciences & Engineering Librarian, UCI Irvine, was named Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Sciences (AAAS) and recognized for significant and distinguished contributions to professional societies, advancements to the study of scientific publishing and grey literature, and service as a distinguished science librarian.

Mondschein, Henri, Patel, Tanvi and Shane, Mary Jo. “An Interdepartmental Collaboration to Target Research and Writing Challenges of International Graduate Students.” In Supporting Today’s Students in the Library: Strategies for Retaining and Graduating International, Transfer, First-Generation, and Re-entry Students, edited by Ngoc-Yen Tran and Silke Higgins, 145-72. Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries, 2019.

Mondschein, Henri. “Collaborative Pedagogy for International MBA Student Success.”  In Improving Library Services in Support of International Students and English as a Second Language Learners, edited by Leila June Rod-Welch, 105-18. Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries, 2019.

Ray Pun published a column piece called "Brace Yourselves: Artificial Intelligence is Here to Stay" in
Online Searcher Magazine (November/December 2019 issue).

Ray Pun co-authored with Laurie Bridges and Manbeena Sekhon, a chapter entitled "Times of Uncertainty: International Student Services in the Library in Trump America?" edited by Dr. Leila Rod-Welch for the ACRL Publication called Improving Library Services in Support of International Students and English as a Second Language Learners.

The Sustainable Library's Cookbook published by ACRL and co-edited by Ray Pun and Dr. Gary L. Shaffer is finally out. This book features over 40 case studies and many contributors came from academic librarians in California (see CARL's Winter 2019 Newsletter, v. 41, issue 1 for a complete list of names).

On December 10, Ray Pun presented in the ACRL Webcast called "ACRL Get Involved: Everything You Need to Know About Volunteering for an ACRL Committee" with ACRL President Karen Munro, Peter Hepburn, Dominique Turnbow, Dawn Behrend, Mary Kavanagh, and Rachel Minkin.

Please send news about your library, you colleagues, or yourself to
 Executive Board Meeting Notes                         
CSU Long Beach. Friday Dec. 13, 2019

Amend/Approve Agenda
Amend/Approve Minutes

Task Force on Racial Equity (Lindsey)
  • Standing Rules re-cap: Racial Justice Taskforce (started in 2018) tasked with composing an equity statement & CoC applicable to meetings and social media channels; coming about due to racist incident(s?) at ALA Midwinter (2019)
    • Article 7.9 (creation of an Equity and Inclusion Coordinator):Presidential-appointed position - oversees CoC and racial equity-related efforts by CARL. In particular, this person will lead training for board & members around issues related to equity, inclusion and racial justice. Hope to have funding from the board to train this person to do this critical work.  Education and advocacy piece added to oversight role.
  • Taskforce has a recommended training from DeEtta Jones and $500
  • Bylaws recommended edits:
    • 4.1: As part of the requirement for membership in CARL, members must uphold and adhere to CoC; loss of membership consequence of violating CoC.
  • Accountability mechanisms:
    • Equity Statement & CoC
    • No longer need registration website note, but must include a checkbox for members to assent to CoC.
    • Accountability mechanisms informed by a number of other organization/association CoC statements; adapted to CARL’s specific needs.
    • Ken: Is there any due process if someone has been accused of misconduct?
    • Lindsey: Equity & Inclusion Coordinator and Board will be responsible for initiating a response to the incident; we want to consider developing procedures for CoC violations but for now, keeping this statement as broad as possible.
  • Ken: Why is this position appointed by the CARL President?
  • Kelly: All appointed positions are through the CARL President per bylaws.
  • Margot: Revocation of membership - we should specify that there will be no refund of those fees.
  • Coming back to discussion about procedural due process (hold)
  • CoC Reporting Violation Form:
  • If you upload images/files, the Google Form records your information; but people have the option of emailing.
  • There might have to be a different hosting mechanism for the form (to ensure privacy). Margot recommending linking the CoC to the Reporting Form.
  • Lindsey: There might not be someone in the Equity & Inclusion Coordinator Role in time for CARL 2020; can members of the E&I TF take on the role of monitoring? Potential volunteers: Liz, Lindsey, and Tamara Rhodes? (Yes, the Board supports this action)
  • New CARL database program will not preserve anonymity for Reporting Form, so unlikely we will host it there.
  • Lindsey: Replace registration website with text of Accountability Mechanism.
  • Joseph: Replace with brief text and link(s) to CoC, Accountability Mechanism, and Reporting Form, because there isn’t enough room in the registration form for entire accountability mechanism text.
  • Kelly: (E&I and Racial Justice Committee might need to meet one more time to address technical issues)?
  • Lindsey: Suggests placing links to CoC, AM, and Reporting Form on CARL website and links to these docs on the registration form.
  • Changes to Standing Rules approved unanimously
  • Bylaws: Board accepted changes to bylaws and will send to membership for approval (approved unanimously). Lee & Kelly will send out to membership sometime in January.
  • Accountability Mechanism: CARL Board unanimously approved AM. However, Board will be responsible for reviewing a due process statement to be added to AM, as well as resolving technical issues related to accessing this document.
  • Action items: Joseph/Andrew: Need to add a registration checkbox for the conference where registrants will agree to adhere to the Code of Conduct. Remove the note on the registration. Website-add links to Code of Conduct, Reporting form, and accountability mechanisms to the registration form. Liz: Add to accountability measures that membership fees will not be refunded if they are removed from CARL. Lindsay: Add link to Code of Conduct on the reporting form. Kelly: Will ask David to add Code of Conduct, Reporting form, and accountability mechanisms to the CARL website. Lee/Kelly: Send changes to Bylaws to membership for a vote in January. Lindsey: Recommendation for Equity & Inclusion Coordinator training funds will be sent to the Board by the E & I and Racial Justice task force.
Welcome to the Board (Lee)
  • Lee: All new members should read bylaws and standing rules.
  • Main communication w/Board will be through CARLEX.
  • Most Board Meetings are via Zoom, but December meetings are in-person because of transitions.
  • 2nd in-person Board Meeting will be at CARL 2020
  • Board Member Reports: Located at the end of the agendas and members need to report on activities since last board meeting.
  • Assigning roles to DALs (Kelly & Lee)
  • Roles that will be folded into Directors-at-Large responsibilities:
  • Award Liaison
  • Advocacy Liaison
  • Interest Group Coordinator
  • Lucy will finish her term and then her role (ACRL Delegate) will get folded into DALS.
  • Ken: If a DAL wants to be a particular liaison, will that role be tied to the DAL permanently? -- Answer is no,.
  • Lee: Ken must resign as ALIGN Chair to avoid conflict of interest (now that he’s a DAL).
  • Kelly: Rotation of Awards Liaison/Advocacy Liaison/IG Coordinator within DALS to balance out workload.
  • Action Items: DALS: If you want to do something specific (Awards, Advocacy, or IG), you must contact Kelly ASAP. Kelly: will assign IG Roles to DALS.
Creating an Award in Gayatri’s name (Lee, Lalitha, Kelly)
  • Creating a grant or award to honor Gayatri Singh/; Board unanimously approved.
  • Purpose of proposal: Apply award/grant to Diversity/Equity/Inclusion efforts because this work was important to Gayatri. We don’t currently have anything focused on DEI.
  • Lee: Award to honor past work or grant to enable future programming?
  • Pros of Award: Recognizes existing work that’s been done; maybe the person self-funded work and we would be reimbursing them. Also logistically/bureaucratically easier to give money rather than tracking grant efforts.
  • Cons of Award: May privilege libraries that have funding in place for DEI work.
  • Pros of Grant: Might help realize a project that might not happen without funding; would only be offered to CARL members (possibly a membership draw?)
  • Cons of Grant: More work for Treasurer - more accounting procedures (receipts, reimbursements, etc.) Grant might not align with timing of conference.
  • Rachel: For award: Continue promoting work / cause rather than whatever recipient chooses to spend $$ on; for the grant, would there be oversight or assessment of success?
  • Liz: For grant, having recipients present on their program at the CARL Conference.
  • Lee: For the grant, we would ask recipients to talk about their work at the CARL Awards Luncheon.
  • Ken: Appreciates the grant aspect because it encourages the continuation of that work. Concerned about privileging institutions that are engaged in/have funding for DEI work.
  • Joseph: Can it be at the discretion of the board to award a grant or an award? Why either/or?
  • Andrew: Can we do one of each?
  • Lee: Possibility of establishing two separate committees (grant/award)
  • Liz: If we decide to do one or the other, the committee has to have clear direction.
  • Kelly: May have to implement wording that indicates we can’t award consecutive awards.
  • Yen: Would like to see award/grant given annually (rather than bi-annually).
  • Odd year: Grant with an eye towards presenting at CARL
  • Even year: Award
  • Liz: Not tying grant to specific conferences.
  • Kelly: Recommends that grant presentation doesn’t have to be tied to CARL - can be an IG program.
  • Other ideas: a virtual exhibit/tour
  • Andrew: Has a contact who wants to donate to effort - wants to know who to connect person with; Kelly noted that a task force would likely be established.
  • There will be a fundraiser at the conference for this honor (registration already has fundraising happening)
  • Margot: Annual submissions (pick whether you’re applying for a grant/award) and have one committee review. Rubric would be similar. Provide one grant/one award.
  • Kelly: Questions sustainability of award over time. But recommends allowing applicants to determine whether they want an award or grant and committee determines what will be awarded.
  • Discussion of possibly privileging awards vs grants
  • Liz: Not a lot of grants for programming available to academic libraries
  • Yen: Wouldn’t necessarily be an onerous process to provide a grant.
  • Liz: For accounting process, can we give the recipient the entire amount, regardless of what is spent?
  • Andrew: Taking into account hidden costs, it makes sense to give recipients the entire amount and assume they will spend out entire amount.
  • Kelly: We need to have the full accounting for grant expenditures per 501(c) rules.
  • Making a motion to establish a fund annually honoring Gayatri Singh - provides $1000 for DEI areas: Unanimously approved.
  • Action item: Lee/Kelly: Convene a subcommittee/task force to finalize name and determine eligibility and criteria in January.
New Member Working Group (Rachel)
  • Rachel and Talitha previously discussed in May: What things are most important for new members to know about; how to connect people with similar areas of interest/geographic region? How to keep new members engaged?
  • Possibility of creating content for new members - mailed out as a packet or available on website? TBD
  • Kelly: Do Talitha and Rachel need to create a deliverable/memo for board?
  • Lee: Initial sense was that Talitha and Rachel would create a deliverable; since Talitha is rotating off, there’s a possibility of continuing work w/remaining task force (Mario and Rachel).
  • CARL DIY could live on the website and would be a living document for people to consult.
  • Action items: Andrew: Would like to join the working group (as membership director). Mario: Volunteered to chair CARL DIY Task Force. Ken: Request to add “Collection” to Reference (People who need PD).
2020 Conference Update
  • Accepted proposals have been sent out; conference program likely to go live by end of January; Lee will get in touch with Allie.
  • Poster and RT proposals are still being accepted until January 15th.
  • Conference planning team wanted to allow access to vendors who behave in equitable and honorable ways.
  • Thomson-Reuters (Westlaw) is providing data to ICE, which is concerning; we don’t necessarily want to accept funds from them due to these practices.
  • Looking at other sponsors (e.g. Southwest Airlines) to make up for the loss of other ones sponsoring CARL.
  • If you can donate during registration, that will cover costs including childcare reimbursement and travel.
  • Andrew: Potential partnership between CLA and CARL - reduced costs for membership and attending conference. Noting overlap of programming and instruction, Andrew thinks it’s a good idea to explore a partnership. Could increase attendance at CARL.
  • Lee: Would be difficult to authenticate membership of CLA members; could Andrew, as Membership Director, investigate technical aspects?  (ACTION) Potentially something to explore for 2022.
  • Kelly: Engagement/partnering with Nevada chapter of ACRL?
  • Yen: Would I be managing sponsorship / donation funds?
  • Lee: It’s likely that recipients of childcare vouchers/travel funds would submit receipts to Yen for reimbursement.
  • Yen requesting firm clarification on how to handle accounting of sponsorships.
  • Action items: Lucy: Please forward Allie’s message to ACRL Chapters/listservs.
2022 Conference (Lee)
  • Allie, Talitha, and Lee have narrowed down to 4 sites in the Bay Area (2 - East Bay; 2 - South Bay). Looked at travel from the airport.
  • Berkeley (too small)
  • Oakland Marriott (near Convention Center); lots of restaurants
  • San Jose (2): Still considering, but they’re not considerably cheaper.
  • Right now favoring Oakland Marriott
  • Hopefully by next Board Meeting, Lee can announce final decision (between Oakland or San Jose).
  • Andrew: Oakland Marriott might be too small - negative feedback received from CLA attendees (from a conference a few years ago)
  • Lee: Sleeping arrangements nicest at Oakland Marriott.
  • Andrew: Have we considered looking at alternative venues besides hotels (museums, Google, university)?
  • Lee: Timeline for 2022 - we need to go with hotels right now because of tight timeline.
  • Survey from 2018 CARL attendees indicated that most people didn’t want to give up having a conference in a hotel.
  • Joseph: No real evidence that registration fees are an issue given that 2016 and 2018 conferences had record number of attendees
Website (Lee)
  • David Drexler contacted Lee a few months ago about a request to migrate over to Wordpress (we are currently using Dreamweaver) - using a more accessible CMS is ideal.
  • Lee: What can we get rid of/what do we need to update; perhaps past-presidency duties can focus on content analysis.
  • Lee: Possibility of assigning different webpages to board members to review content (assess what’s outdated).
  • Action items: Lee and Kelly: Will discuss how to distribute website review/content analysis to board members.
Membership report (Joseph)
  • Lapsed members who were migrated into the new system - they were suspended and invoiced for new dues.
  • Adolfo has generated $3500 of sponsorship funds.
  • Joseph had to manually update IG memberships; in new system, members will have to review current memberships at time of renewal.
  • Data in RegOnline will be unavailable to us after 12/31.
  • Action item: Joseph will place RegOnline Data in Google Drive folder.
Treasurer report (Yen)
  • Working through membership payments new management software (Lee, Joseph, and Yen); focused on getting monies into CARL bank account.
  • Issuing reimbursements; Goal is to break even on events; Yen is hoping we will accomplish that with CARL-DIG event.
  • Andrew: Have we looked at programs that have historically made money? (Answer: No, but SCIL and CARL-DIG programs are fairly consistent).
  • Andrew: Can we charge for webinars?
  • Kelly: Interest groups are at a low currently.
  • Possibility of reinstituting SEAL (sp?) - petition received required signatures.
  • Yen: We do have a healthy amount of funds in checking account (appx. $79K).
  • For new members who want to be reimbursed for CARL activities - fill out appropriate forms on CARL website, and include receipts. You may also request funds before meetings/activities.
Mentorship Committee Update (Ethan)
  • Has a few more sign-ups for mentorship committee.
Awards Liaison (Liz)
  • Research Grant: Two recipients will be presenting in 2020 (CSULA and CSUEB)
  • Ilene Rockman and Outstanding Member: Need to be taken up in 2020; Lee just got an email from the Rockman Chair with 2 names for the award. Board has to vote on who gets Rockman and Outstanding Member Awards.
Priorities for 2020 (Kelly)
  • Meeting Goals
    • February 14 (9:30 - 11:30)
    • April 1st (9:30 - 11:30) FTF
    • September 11 (9:30 - 11:30)
    • December 11 (9:30 - 11:30) FTF
    • Will discuss locations at a later date.
  • Board Goals
    • Looking for funding/moneymaking opportunities; (Andrew)
    • More webinars; (Rachel)
    • New platform allows for more engagement with social media; can we have an official #hashtag to engage members? (Mario)
    • Can we create a program/retreat for IG Leaders - foster a bond? IG Leaders might feel more enthusiastic if there was a cohort? (Mario/Liz)
    • More of a mix of in-person and online opportunities would engage members (Liz)
    • Giving more advance notice of events so members can plan accordingly (Liz)
    • Connecting members directly with each other? Possibly engagement through Slack? (Rachel)?
    • Margot (?): Can there be a new membership training?
    • Andrew: Interesting that conversations about membership engagement parallel those happening within CLA.
    • Working with online programs beyond SJSU and UCLA. Also consider engaging library personnel currently in library school who may not be members of CARL.
    • How are we supporting Central Valley colleagues? (Andrew)
Review action items
Meeting adjourned


The CARL Newsletter (ISSN: 1090-9982) is the official publication of the California Academic & Research Libraries organization and is published online quarterly.
Copyright © 2020, All rights reserved.

Deadlines for submissions: March 15, June 15, September 15, and December 15.
Newsletter submissions, corrections, questions, and comments should be sent to

Our mailing address is: ||

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
University of San Francisco · 125 S. Market St., #200 · San Jose, Ca 95192 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp