View this email in your browser

California Academic & Research Libraries



Summer 2021 Newsletter
(Volume 43, Issue 3)

President's Message
CARL Business
Member Spotlight
People and Places News
Board Meeting Notes
CARL Leadership 2021

Thoughts from the President, Rachel Jaffe
Close-up photo of Rachel JaffeThis quarter I’ll be using this column to introduce our new (and very first) Equity and Inclusion Coordinator, Liz Galoozis, and to re-introduce CARL’s Equity Statement and Code of Conduct.

The Code of Conduct & Equity Statement are the work of CARL’s Racial Equity Committee, which was formed in 2019, and was charged with developing these documents which were then introduced and rolled out as part of the 2020 CARL Conference.

I met with Liz Galoozis earlier this week to talk about her work on these documents as well as her thinking about her new role.

What is your professional background? What is your current position/affiliation? What is your history with CARL?
Photo of Liz GaloozisI’m currently the Head of Information Literacy at the University of Southern California Libraries and I've been at USC for seven years. I was in Boston before that and was working as an instruction coordinator -- so I've been in instruction my whole career. In Boston, I was involved in ACRL New England and really liked their programming. When I came to California, I first became involved in CARL through SCIL and eventually, I ran for the CARL Board and served for two years as the Director-at-Large for Private Colleges and Universities.

How did the Equity Statement and the Code of Conduct come to be? What was the thinking behind them?
If I recall, it was Lindsey Shively, former CARL Newsletter Editor, who first brought up the question of what actions CARL was taking on the racial justice front. Also, at the time, there was also awareness among Board members who had attended conferences that asked attendees to adhere to a code of conduct, that neither CARL nor the CARL Conference had one. If there was a single inciting incident, it would have been the events that occurred at ALA Midwinter 2019.

In early 2019, the Racial Equity Task Force was formed and it was made up of Board members and leaders from DIAL, including Lucy Bellamy, Melissa Cardenas-Dow, Kenny Garcia, Kelly Janousek, Mario Macías, Tamara Rhodes, Lindsey, and myself. It was decided that developing an equity statement and a code of conduct would be a place for us to start.

Where did you look for examples or inspiration?
Yeah, so we looked pretty widely and not just within libraries alone. We did look at library organizations, like IFLA and MIT Libraries, but also elsewhere. For example, this environmental organization called the Post-Landfill Action Network that had an awesome code of conduct that we adapted some language from.

I'm curious, how were these documents received? What kind of feedback did you get?
As we were drafting, we asked for periodic feedback from the Board. The biggest challenge we had while working on the Code of Conduct was that we found that we were trying to do two things, which needed to be thought about at the same time: we needed to write the Code of Conduct itself as well as develop a mechanism for accountability.

It was evident to me in reviewing with the Code of Conduct, the degree of care that was taken in writing it and in mapping our accountability measures. I like that its purpose is more about awareness, education and individual and organizational accountability than it is about judgement or punishment. I think it was really, really well done.
Yeah, and I mean we talked a lot about that because we knew that we couldn't imagine every kind of situation, so we didn’t want to produce a laundry list of potential violations or leave things open to where the Code could be weaponized again against someone who was within their rights. We wanted to be careful about not enabling harmful behavior, which is why we included a list of actions that are not against the Code of Conduct.

So that is how the Code of Conduct came to be and as far as the Equity Statement, we first spent a lot of time talking through what we mean by inclusion, and how can we arrive at a definition that we all agree on, the Board agrees on, and then our work went on from. We spent a lot of time talking, wordsmithing and getting feedback from people. I think it was well worth it. In Fall 2019, we presented the Statement and the Code of Conduct to the Board, and they were eventually formally approved and adopted.

However, before the Racial Equity Task Force disbanded, we also produced and shared an action plan for ongoing racial and social justice work. The creation of the Equity and Inclusion Coordinator role was one of those recommendations.

Following their creation of the Equity Statement and implementation of the Code of Conduct, we’ve had other groups ask to borrow from or reuse these documents. As one of the contributors, how does that make you feel?
It makes me feel proud, and I really want to emphasize that I didn't write the Code of Conduct –we all did. Lindsey was really our leader and she ran our meetings in a really excellent way.

Drafting the Equity Statement and the Code of Conduct was really hard and it takes a lot of work. Had there been a go-to code of conduct when we were working on this or if we had found something that fit perfectly, we probably would have asked to reuse it too. That other organizations are wanting to reuse our work speaks to the care and time invested in the project and to what we all did together.

Do you believe that the Equity Statement and the Code of Conduct have had an impact?
It’s really hard to answer that question.

We have an incident reporting form, so if we see incidents reported, we’re seeing where there are complaints, but not where maybe the Code of Conduct has encouraged someone to behave with more awareness.

I think it is meaningful that we were not reacting to something in our own organization when we wrote these documents. Instead of reacting to or having our process be framed by a specific incident, we had a chance to think about things proactively.

Under Lindsey’s leadership, the Task Force went beyond drafting the Code of Conduct; we also developed proactive work plan so that the organization can act to move forward racial equity work. The action items identified by the Task Force are gigantic and ongoing, and there’s also the work of figuring out how to coordinate this ongoing work and inspire diverse participation. But even in identifying action items and in being able to come back to them, for the Board, I think that has had an impact and I think that it was helpful.

What work remains to be done?
A really concrete thing that is already happening is that the IG coordinator and I will be working on revising the Interest Group Guidelines and creating best practices for inclusive programming.

I’m also interested in talking with the IG Coodinator and the IG leaders about bringing the Code of Conduct into play at smaller events, not just the CARL Conference, and working with them on responding to Code of Conduct violations at the interest group level.

To contact Liz with feedback or suggestions, email

Run for CARL Office
Watch for the call in August 2021 via CARLALL to be a part of the CARL Leadership. Stylized illustration of business people next to a blue check box

The CARL Nominations and Elections committee will be soliciting nominations for 2022 CARL Board: 
  • Vice President/President Election (three-year term)
  • Director-at-Large, Private Colleges & Universities (two-year term)
  • Director-at-Large, Community Colleges (two-year term)
  • Secretary (two-year term)
Please consider this rewarding professional service opportunity! Contact Kelly Janousek, Chair of the CARL Nominations & Elections Committee at for further details.

Interest Groups
CARLDIG-S (CARL Discussion Interest Group - South)
Save the Date: CARLDIG-S Fall Program: “Failure Remix: Stories of Failure, Setbacks, and Where We Go From There” - Friday, December 3, 2021Save the Date for Fall 2021 CARLDIG-S Program: “Failure Remix: Stories of Failure, Setbacks, and Where We Go From There”
When: Friday, December 3rd
Where: Online via Zoom
Time: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM (TBD)

On Friday, December 3, CARLDIG-S will host a half-day, virtual program, “Failure Remix: Stories of Failure, Setbacks, and Where We Go From There.” Attendees will hear from different presenters as they share their experiences with failure in areas of reference and the work they engaged in as a result of those experiences. We don’t often discuss our failures, as it is seen as something that damages our professional reputations. It is, however, important to not only normalize talking about failure but to embrace failure in our workplace. Failures mean we are experimenting, innovating, and growing. Through modeling failure, we can inspire others in their attempts to deal with their own challenges in the workplace. So let’s talk about failure! A call for proposals will be sent out in the fall, and more information will be available at the CARLDIG-S website: 

For more information, please contact Meghan Kwast at We hope to see you there!

SCIL: Southern California Instruction Librarians
Please congratulate our new board members who will begin serving on SCIL's executive board effective July 1, 2021. Voting closed on June 5, and after verifying votes, these are the new SCIL board members for academic year 2021-2022:
  • Chair-Elect
    • Katherine "Kat" Koziar
  • Secretary
    • Michelle Brasseur
  • Membership & Outreach Coordinator
    • No nominations submitted. Per SCIL bylaws, the work of this position will be absorbed by the SCIL board
SEAL (Science & Engineering Academic Librarians)
A group of librarians are working on re-starting the SEAL interest group. The pandemic initially delayed their work, but the team is eager to begin planning for virtual events soon. Please contact Sheree Fu to connect with SEAL.

ALIGN (Academic Librarians' Interest Group North) 
Visit the ALIGN Website or contact Ken Lyons at for more information about this interest group.

DIAL (Diversity in Academic Libraries)
Visit the DIAL Website or contact Rayheem Eskridge at or Edeama Onwuchekwa at for more information on this interest group.

SCORE (Scholarly Communication and Open Resources for Education)
SCORE meets virtually on a quarterly basis and meeting minutes are available. Subscribe to the SCORE listserv to find out when they're meeting next!

Brett Fisher
Photo of Brett Fisher with partially deconstructed computer, surrounded by assorted computing equipment

Where do you currently work, and what is your job title/role? 

I currently work at the Leatherby Libraries at Chapman University in Orange, CA. I am the Chair of the Library Systems & Technology Division and the Religious Studies / Philosophy Librarian.

Why did you join CARL? What do you most enjoy about being a CARL member? 

I originally joined CARL for fellowship and professional development opportunities which were more local to me (California) than other organizations. I served as a Campus Liaison for CARL before that program was discontinued in 2015. I love the one-stop-shop aspect of CARL for local news and events (this Newsletter has been particularly helpful for me).

Are you working on anything special right now or in the near future you'd like to share with other CARL members?

I am currently working on a transition from CUFTS / Godot (our Electronic Resource Management tool and link resolver) to EBSCO’s Folio / Full-Text Finder. I am also working on easing the staff back to post-pandemic (in-office) work. Our campus is replacing most phones with headsets that will be used with Microsoft Teams.

What new approaches to your work have you tried recently? Have any of them been particularly successful or challenging?

These projects I mentioned above, coupled with everyone’s varied abilities to “get back in the groove” of returning to an in-person work environment, have certainly kept me busy. On the sunny side, my days go by very quickly! I am certain we are not the only campus to be affected by changing budgets. We utilize what we have while making plans for a brighter future. Taking advantage of online learning opportunities has been helpful. I returned to my own office to find dried out printers, post-it reminders to cancel my airline ticket to a conference that never happened, some very stale gum in my drawer, and new questions about where to go from here. In many ways, the foundations we built to allow for completely remote work are helping to integrate the technology for those who have returned to work physically and those who still remain at home.

What’s something you recently read/watched/listened to that you can’t stop thinking about or is helping you process recent events? Why?

Video games have helped many of us deal with the stresses of a pandemic. Of late, digitally downloaded video games verses physical ownership has been keeping me awake at 3:00 in the morning. Traditionally, video games have been purchased on physical media (cartridges, discs, etc.) which are then utilized with the console for which they were designed. In recent years, digital-only games have increased in popularity. Some users have found, however, that their access to these games can be limited or restricted by the company that produces the console. There is a difference between holding something in your hand that was designed to work on certain equipment versus simply having a license to play something SO LONG AS the company wishes you to have access. If a console must first check its authentication against an external server to enable game play, access may be stymied in future years. My Atari 2600 cartridges still work on my beat up console from the late 1970’s. Will I be able to claim the same for a downloaded game on a PlayStation 5 in the year 2060? There are many more details to this issue but as a librarian, I am concerned about the future preservation and availability of these works of art. A similar situation exists with streaming music but at 3:00 AM, I can only worry about one thing at a time!

Do you have a colleague you'd like to recommend for the Member Spotlight column? Email the Editors for more information at

Torie Quiñonez was granted tenure and has been promoted to the rank of Associate Librarian at CSU San Marcos.
Joseph Aubele has received tenure and promotion to Associate Librarian at CSU Long Beach. 
Nicollette Brant has been hired as Business Senior Assistant Librarian at CSU Long Beach.

Publications, Presentations, and Awards
Illustration of globe over a typewritten paper
Sarah Dahlen and Ryne Leuzinger of California State University, Monterey Bay published an article describing their research related to teaching synthesis of information from sources and citation practices: Dahlen, S.P.C., & Leuzinger, R. (2020). Impact of library instruction on the development of student skills in synthesis and source attribution: A model for academic program assessment. Journal of Academic Librarianship, 46(6).
Sarah Dahlen and Jeff Corrigan of California State University, Monterey Bay recently co-authored a book chapter on the information literacy skills and library experiences of transfer students: Dahlen, S.P.C., & Corrigan, J.D. (2021). Measuring the transfer experience: Assessing and improving information literacy skills for transfer students and first-year registrants. In N. Fawley, M. Robison, & A. Marshall (Eds.), Transfer student success: Advancing outcomes from the library (pp. 123–131). ALA Editions.
Ray Pun was invited to serve as a panelist at the NASIG 2021 Virtual Conference on "Equity and Inclusion: Bystander Intervention Discussion" with Jasmine L. Clark (Temple University) and Treshani Perera (University of Kentucky) and co-moderated by Moon Kim (Ohio State University) and Kristen Twardowski (Duke University Press) in May 2021. 
Ray Pun also co-presented with Guoying Liu (University of Windsor) at the Library Publishing Forum: Virtual Conference - their presentation was entitled, "Capturing Publishing Efforts in the International Journal of Librarianship by the Chinese American Librarians Association (CALA): A Case Study" in May 2021.

Erin Louthen and Kelci Baughman McDowell (Santa Clara University), Jackie Beckey and Maggie Hughes (Huntington Library); Sandy Enriquez (UC Riverside); and Michaela Ullmann (University of Southern California) participated in a virtual panel presentation sponsored by CARL's Academic Librarians' Interest Group North (ALIGN) and the Society of California Archivists (SCA) on March 4, 2021. The title of their presentation was "Doors Wide Open: Advancing Inclusive Access to Special Collections."
Leanna Goodwater and  Kelci Baughman McDowell (Santa Clara University) gave a presentation on March 26, 2021 at the online conference of the California Interdisciplinary Consortium for Italian Studies (CICIS 2021: Italian Experiments). The title of their presentation was "Bringing the Italian American Experience to Life: Italian Studies-Library Partnership for Online Archival and Research Instruction -- A Roundtable on Digital Experiments for Contemporary Study."
Erin Louthen, Kelci Baughman McDowell, and Lauren Baines (Santa Clara University) gave a presentation to the Society of California Archivists on April 27, 2021 on "Challenges and Solutions to Indigenous Representation and Silences in the Memory Institutions of Santa Clara University."
Leanna Goodwater (Santa Clara University), Hugh Burkhart (University of San Diego), and John Redford (Biola University) published a  review of the database Drama Online:  Goodwater, Leanna, Hugh Burkhart, and John Redford. "Drama Online Revisited." The Charleston Advisor 22, no. 4 (April 2021): 12-17.  The review is also available in ccAdvisor:  Goodwater, Leanna, Hugh Burkhart, and John Redford. "Drama Online." ccAdvisor (March 16, 2021). DOI: 10.5260/CCA.199274

Torie Quiñonez, Lalitha Nataraj, and Dr. Antonia Olivas, all of Cal State San Marcos, published their chapter, “The Praxis of Relation, Validation, and Motivation: Articulating LIS Collegiality through a CRT Lens,” in Knowledge Justice: Disrupting Library and Information Studies through Critical Race Theory (April 2021, MIT Press).

CARL Board Meeting Agenda       
Date: June 4, 2021
Rachel Jaffe
Andrew Carlos
Kelly Janousek
Lucy Bellamy
Sam Alfrey
David Drexler
Mario Macias
Lalitha Nataraj
Allison Carr (Guest)
Paizha Stoothoff
Ethan Annis
Rayheem Eskridge
Jennifer Silverman
Ken Lyons
Shamika Simpson

Meeting Agenda
  • Welcome & Introductions - 12:00
    • Everyone introduces themselves and states their current mood. :)
  • Amend/Approve Agenda - 12:15
    • Agenda approved
  • Amend/Approve Minutes from March meeting – 12:16
    • Minutes approved
  • 2022 CARL Conference (Allie Carr) – 12:55
    • Update from Conference Planning Committee
      • Call for volunteers will be sent shortly; summer off and in fall the planning committee will touch base w/plenary speakers, send out CFP, finalize costs
    • 2022 budget & subsidized registration
      • Basing budget on conference registration fees and sponsorships. 
        • Sponsorships are a little lower than previous years; the conference committee is intentional about which vendors have access to conference members. Limiting access to vendors who do not treat libraries and librarians ethically.
        • CARL 2022 sponsorship is approximately half the amount of what we have received in previous years.
        • Major cost is the hotel contract (largely food and beverage); they will waive conference hotel rental fees if CARL meets food and beverage $.
        • Wi-fi is usually included in the contract; we generally cover plenary speakers’ accommodations.
        • Contemplating moving to a digital program.
          • Andrew: “For CLA, we moved to a digital Program, but provided a printer at the conference if people wanted to print the program - that could be an option and we framed it as moving towards a greener conference.”
        • Offer scholarships to enable early-career librarians/MLIS students to present at the conference.
        • Vouchers to assist members with childcare accommodations (babysitting; covering caregiver travel costs, etc.)
        • Approximately 55% of members register with Early Bird rate.
        • Contemplating reducing registration costs by subsidizing the fees; if CARL can do this, it’s possible to include more scholarships for those who need it.
          • Rachel: I like the idea of it too — I think it’s a timely investment in our members.  It’s their money after all!  I’m curious if/how we want to communicate that the rates are subsidized, if we decided to do this.
          • Ethan: Would we consider reframing the conference and have a virtual component for a lower fee (to increase attendance overall?)
          • Allie: Would not feel comfortable making an assessment of what is considered a financial hardship. Would defer to best practices/guidelines on how to do this equitably.
          • Virtual conferences are not necessarily a simpler offering. 
          • Main reasons that people attend CARL: networking and professional development. 
          • Rachel: When registering, is the idea that attendees will be able to select between the subsidized rate or the standard rate?  I think we want to enable those with more funds to pay more, if they choose.
          • Allie: Survey members and IGs first before considering a move to virtual conferences. 
          • Rayheem: Would we consider an option for buying someone’s full ticket (direct sponsorship)? And offer some sort of gift (e.g. tote) to the donor.
          • Paizha: It’s great to have two different registration options. 
          • Mario: We would have to provide instructions and display the differences for the registration process (to not confuse folks)…
          • Rayheem: Sponsorships from institutions as a way of meeting anti-racist commitments: making sure that the conference is inclusive (sponsor BIPOC attendees). In my mind, the donation would be blind. You wouldn’t know who you’d pay for.
          • Andrew: We would have a list in the backend for who needs/would like to be supported.
          • Rayheem: I wonder how that list would be generated, managed, and who’d have access.
        • Kelly: Moves to approve the budget; Andrew seconds. Mario would like to follow up on tiered fees and subsidization.
    • ACTION COMPLETED: CARL Board approved the 2022 Conference Budget.
  • Interest Groups – 1:10
    • DIAL/IG Symposium (Rayheem)
      • What we did well:
        • Offering the conference for free to attendees. Equity-wise, it made sense for this topic/theme to be open to everyone for free (serves a universal benefit).
        • Attendance given the relative short notice was good; 115 registrants (1st day); 102 registrants (2nd day)
        • Resources were shared in Discord channel; Discord is a living document so it can be added to/accessed as long as it remains up (DIAL won’t be taking down)
        • Presenters were received well.
        • Flexibility in modalities allowed people to shine.
      • Things to improve:
        • Discord was a “blessing and a curse” - people were unfamiliar with this platform, so people didn’t engage with it as much as expected.
        • We need to figure out a better way to coordinate the registration component; tricky because DIAL has limited comfort with using YM features. Would be easier to use a platform that gives DIAL direct access.
        • Asking presenters to pre-record just in case there are technology issues.
          • Andrew: @all: Should CARL consider a zoom license for the association? Might be useful for further virtual conference options, as well as an option to have folks attend virtually and in person at the same time.
      • Planning on a paper/case study to assess the usefulness of the program. Align all the IG groups on a theme and present at the end of the year.
      • Possibly offer a shorter program (3 presentations over 3 days; duration would be appx. 3 hours). 
    • IG Guidelines review & best practices for inclusive programming (Shamika, Liz & Rachel)
      • Shamika and Liz will be working on the best practices guidelines; Shamika will take the lead on the IG review.
      • Mario: Would like to assist the IG coordinator; has experience with working with IG manual.
  • Board Assignments (Rachel)
    • Appointing interim EI Coordinator
      • Rachel: Has appointed Liz as the interim Equity and Inclusion coordinator but would like to make this role a bit more permanent.
    • EI Coordinator bylaws change
      • We need to update the bylaws and submit to membership for vote.
  • 2022 CARL Election (Kelly)
    • Nominating Committee
      • No later than September to get members to consider; we need to get confirmation/signature on Code of Conduct and voting would take place at the end of October.
    • Bylaws changes: EI Coordinator, Awards, Association’s nickname, etc.
      • We may need to tease out the contingencies and impacts of changing the association’s name and whether it’s the appropriate time.
      • Bylaws changes will occur over email.
    • ACTION: Rachel will appoint an ad hoc committee to work on name change transition; Andrew and Jennifer are interested in working on this committee. We will wait to vote on bylaws until name change committee meets.
    • ACTION: Rachel will be in touch with Kelly about appointing Nominations Committee.
    • ACTION: CARL Board members should send Kelly recommendations for Vice President candidate from NorCal.
  • Committee updates & 2021 Projects 
    • CARLEX Timeline/Tasklist
    • Website Assessment Committee
      • Ken, Sam, and David, and Lucy are going through website pages to determine what needs to be archived/retained/weeded.
      • Next aspect of work will be to look at platforms for hosting the website.
  • YourMembership (Rachel)
    • Policy for use and administration of YM
      • How do we support the IGs with using this platform? Currently training has fallen to the membership committee. Do we want to continue to use YM? At this time, we do need to administer training and determine policy/practices.
      • Jennifer: We can only have 3 admin accounts for YM.
      • Andrew: Survey IG chairs on what functionalities they’re looking for before developing the training. 
      • Kelly: It would help to have non-CARL Board members on the membership committee to help assess YM; sending out a call to CARL-ALL. 
    • ACTION: Shamika will discuss YM functionality with IG chairs at next IG meeting and share w/CARL Board.
    • ACTION: Rachel will map out YM usage / administration information to be sent out with call to join the membership committee.
  • CARL Strategic Planning (Rachel)
    • Role clarification 
      • Would be helpful to clearly define Board Members’ roles in CARL.
    • Proposal to bring in external trainers for retreat series
      • Rachel: There’s been a need to do strategic planning around the future of the organization. What are we doing versus what do we want to be doing?
    • Strategic planning taskforce
      • Kelly: Would be willing to work on strategic planning taskforce; this group needs seasoned members and new members. 
      • Mario: Also interested in working on the strategic planning task force.
    • ACTION: Rachel will send out a document to CARL Board w/list of potential retreat topics.
    • ACTION: If you are interested in working on the strategic planning task force, please get in touch with Kelly and Rachel.
  • Membership Report (Andrew)
    • Members – 315
    • ALIGN – 81
    • CARLDIG – 159
    • DIAL – 135
    • SCIL – 152
    • SCORE – 99
    • SEAL – 48
    • NorCal – 91
    • SoCal – 223
    • Community College – 76
    • Consortium – 2
    • CSU – 86
    • Private – 58
    • School – 0
    • UC - 41
    • Vendor – 1
  • Treasurer Report (Jennifer) 
    • Old bank account was never formally closed. $3.15 remaining in old accounts.
    • ACTION: Jennifer will follow-up with Yen to resolve.
  • Mentorship Committee Update (Ethan)
    • Everything is running smoothly with the mentorship committee.  We launched an initiative to offer all student CARL members a mentor. Three students responded and one requested a mentor.  She has been matched. Thanks to Andrew Carlos, Rachel Jaffe and Mario Macias for help finding the students.
  • Interest Group Coordinator (Shamika)
    • No IG report at this time.
    • ACTION: Contact the IGs to reschedule the postponed meeting. Contact SCIL to schedule a meeting.
  • Website Assessment Project (Ken & Sam)
    • The Website Assessment Committee has met twice so far, in March and April. The scope of the project was agreed to be an assessment of the state of the CARL site including: 
      • inventory and disposition of all webpages
      • review and critique of site structure
      • review of Web and association membership platforms (e.g. Wordpress, YourMembership, Wild Apricot, MemberClicks) to convert site from current coding-dependent HTML
      • making recommendations to a future implementation committee to carry out a new site design on a new platform. 
    • The Committee has to date: 
      • created a list of priorities and requirements for a new site (ongoing)
      • created a site-map inventory and determined the disposition of nearly 850 pages to be either retained, updated and retained, archived, or deleted
      • established responsibility for retained pages
      • established that there are no longer any CARL Archive holdings at Chapman University and that all archival material is now at CSU Dominguez Hills, who are accepting future accruals
      • surveyed and documented Web platforms being used by all state and regional ACRL divisions
    • The Committee's work in June will be to:
      • assess features and capabilities of YourMembership Web platform (current subscription being used for member communication, registration, and payment, though not as Web platform)
      • compare features and capabilities of other appropriate Web platforms
      • review implementation of platforms on existing websites
      • finalise new site priorities and requirements, and match with reviewed platforms, to make recommendation for purchase/subscription
  • Awards Liaison (Paizha)
    • Added some changes to the bylaws to reflect the Gayatri award to this meeting agenda.
    • Added a general award timeline to the CARLEX document timeline. I also started a separate timeline for each of the awards.
    • Waiting on Gayatri Singh committee to finalize web content and them contacting Dave to update the website. Last reminder was sent to them in April to contact Dave with web content.
    • Outstanding member and Ilene Rockman are doing fine per their usual timeline. 
    • ACTION: Paizha follow-up with Gayatri folks about web content progress. Facilitate adding to website by end of summer 2021.
    • ACTION: Paizha to send email to CARL Board about Research grant options.
    • ACTION: Paizha to double-check on any other needs for website updates.
  • Advocacy (Samantha)
  • ACRL (Lucy)
    • Chapter Council virtual meeting scheduled for July 7th. Please submit any CARL-related questions to Lucy to share at the upcoming meeting by June 20th
  • Newsletter Editors (Kelli)
    • Newsletter items due June 15th
  • EI Coordinator (Liz)
    • Two Code of Conduct violations forwarded to Board. Developed a shorter version of Code of Conduct to be displayed at events: 
      • We expect all participants in CARL-related spaces, including guests and vendors, to behave in ways that support the dignity and well-being of everyone present. This includes formal and informal CARL-related spaces, including digital communication, social media, and in-person interactions. We acknowledge that mistakes will be made, but we also expect all participants in CARL-related spaces to be humble, be comfortable with being uncomfortable, acknowledge the mistake, and commit to continuous learning and improvement.
    • The full Code of Conduct, Equity Statement, and procedures for reporting Code of Conduct violations can be found here:
  • Review action items (Lalitha)
    • Done via email 6/6
Appendix A - Board Member Reports
Elected Members
  • President
    • Investigated issues concerning CARL’s archives
    • Help onboard interim EI Coordinator; reidentified need for bylaws update
    • Worked with board members in addressing Code of Conduct violations and related concerns
    • Worked with board members to clarify roles, identify gaps in policy and documentation, and to move various projects forward
    • Mapped out next steps for the remainder of 2021
  • Past President
    • Worked with the President on issues. 
    • Set up elections timeline. 
    • Provided information to update CARL website elections page information. 
    • Answered questions about past practice. 
  • Secretary
    • Continuing to organize CARL Board documents in Google Drive
  • Treasurer
    • SCIL Spring Program: Asked that non-members pay $10 to attend and an optional donation. We earned $150. Paid $500 for two honorariums.
    • Updating financial-related pages in IG manual (Honorarium form, Credit Card Policies).
    • DIAL Event: $2,000 for 4 honorariums. Event is free to members & non-members.
    • Survey Monkey subscription has been cancelled.
    • All money transferred to new (Wells Fargo) bank accounts and I am in possession of all bank statements from 2020.  Mario & Jennifer have debit cards to WF account. 
    • Organized Quickbooks and filed 2020 tax return ($0 for Registry of Charitable Trust renewal).
  • Membership Director
    • Contacted YM for other sites that use YM for their website
    • Setup event for SCIL in YM
  • ACRL Chapters Council Delegate
    • Shared ACRL Chapter announcements/ news/ meeting minutes to membership
    • Attended ACRL Chapter Council virtual meeting (February)
    • Updated CARL listing in ACRL Chapter directory, including links to CARL’s membership and general websites
    • Liaised communication between Chapter Council and CARL Board 
  • No Report: Vice President; Director-at-Large, Community Colleges; Director-at-Large, Private Colleges and Universities; Director-at-Large, UC; Director-at-Large, CSU
Appointed Members
  • Newsletter Editor
    • Newsletter items due June 15th
  • No Report: Web Coordinator, Mentorship Committee Chair

Rachel Jaffe
UC Santa Cruz

Kelly Janousek
CSU Long Beach

Mario Macías
Pierce College

Lalitha Nataraj
CSU San Marcos

Jennifer Silverman
West Coast University

Andrew Carlos
CSU East Bay

Lucy Bellamy

Shamika Simpson
Long Beach City College

Paizha Stoothoff
Cal State LA

Samantha Alfrey
Occidental College

Ken Lyons
UC Santa Cruz

Kelli Hines
Western University of Health Sciences

Yen Tran
San Jose State University

Dave Drexler
CSU Fresno

Ethan Annis
Dominican University of California, San Rafael

The CARL Newsletter (ISSN: 1090-9982) is the official publication of the California Academic & Research Libraries organization and is published online quarterly.
Copyright © 2021, All rights reserved.

Deadlines for submissions: March 15, June 15, September 15, and December 15.
Newsletter submissions, corrections, questions, and comments should be sent to

Our mailing address is:

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
University of San Francisco · 125 S. Market St., #200 · San Jose, Ca 95192 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp