View this email in your browser
Welcome to SCRT's monthly bulletin focusing on social finance; social investment and social banking. JOIN US...If you are interested in our work then why not join our 150 members and take out SCRT free membership or associate membership.  All organisations and individuals working or volunteering in the Scottish third sector can also open an Anchor Deposit Account offered in conjunction with Airdrie Savings Bank and giving you the opportunity to bank with an ethical bank whilst supporting the Scottish third sector.
Welcome to our monthly Guest Blog.  Each month, SCRT asks someone to submit a blog that might be of interest to our members and other readers.  This month it comes from Joel Hughes of Crowdfunder - the platform that specialises in raising funds for social enterprise and charities. Joel highlights the wide and exciting range of Scottish crowdfunding campaigns that are currently looking for support on their platform....Read Joel's article

Scottish Government launches £50m Housing Charity Bond with Social Investment charity Allia

A charity bond allows investors to donate all or part of the interest on the investment with a chosen charity. This is the second housing charity bond between the Scottish Government and Allia and results in £18.9m investment matched with £6.7m grant funding in 15/16 with another £25m in 16/17. All the money is available to Scottish Housing Associations to build new houses...Read More

OSCR launches a new 'Banking for Charities' information and guidance sheet

OSCR has worked with the British Bankers Association(BBA), SCVO and others to develop this guidance for charity trustees and managers as a response to the growing concern from charities about issues with banks and banking in general. Charities can magnify their impact by using ethical or social banks, so the values of a bank are also important...Read More

Big Society Capital research values the UK social investment market at £1.5bn
Recent BSC research estimates that the UK social investment market was worth £1.5bn in 2015. The research states that the number of deals has doubled since five years ago and 70% of social investment is going to organisations with an asset lock. However, the remaining 30% goes to 'profit with purpose' organisations, which considering how recently that model has emerged is worrying for the future of social investment into traditional third sector organisations...Read More

The UK government launches a new Social Investment Strategy.

The UK government has just launched a new social investment strategy. Rather ominously, it would appear that the strategy is focused on social investment to deliver even more public services using the Social Impact Bond mechanism. It also focuses on the impact of the new Charities(Protection and Social Investment) Act to allow all third sector bodies to make social investments into other third sector organisations - an ideal that is at the very heart of the SCRT model...Read More

Social Enterprise UK research highlights 

SE UK has just released research into social enterprises and financial data for the period 2011-2015. This forms a useful juxtaposition to the BSC research particularly as it focuses on the financial needs of grassroots organisations and looks at geography,type and size of organisation. It shows that the average amount of finance required is less than £70k, highlighting that the age of the organisation does reflect the finance requirements.....Read More

Copyright © 2016 Scottish Community Re-Investment Trust, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you are either an SCRT member or a supporter and as such are interested in what we are doing.

Our mailing address is:
Scottish Community Re-Investment Trust
21 Walker Street
Edinburgh, EH3 7HX
United Kingdom

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp