TANTALIZING TURMERIC TONIC (OR TEA)
Makes about 32 oz
• 4 cups water
• 4 oz (about 4”) fresh turmeric root
• 4 oz (about 4”) fresh ginger root
• 2 tablespoons of whole chai spices*
• Juice of 4 lemons
• 4- 5 tablespoons of honey
1. Fill saucepan with water.
2. Scrub (you don’t need to peel) the ginger and turmeric roots, chop them up and add to water, along with chai spices*
3. Simmer, gently, for about 2 hours.
4. Turn off heat and let cool in pan.
5. When cool, strain into a glass container.
6. Add the lemon juice and honey.
7. Keep refrigerated and drink 6 oz every morning.
You could also do this as a tea –
Steps 1-5 remain the same.
When ready to drink, gently warm 4-5 oz of the “tea”. Add juice of ½ lemon. Stir in 1 teaspoon of honey.
When it’s warm, it makes a nice, warming start to your winter morning.
* Whole chai spices may be hard to find so alternatively you can add about a tablespoon of peppercorns and a cinnamon stick while you're simmering the tonic OR you could add some pepper and cinnamon AFTER the tonic is done. The powdered spices do tend to float up and you will need to shake or stir before pouring (each time.)
Note - Turmeric root is showing up at many stores now - it looks like ginger root but it is darker and orange inside. Try to buy the roots loose because I find that when I buy them in the little net bags, the turmeric is generally smaller and maybe not as fresh! I like to use larger pieces of both roots. Easier to scrub and generally seems more hardy!