Welcome to Project 2.2's weekly newsletter "The Right Dosage".
In this newsletter, I talk about strategic choices in running a coffee business, flash-chilling, Ratnagiri estate, and my favorite Spotify playlists designed for coffee brewing.
Specialty coffee is all about the nuances. From brewing styles to palates, the subjectivity involved is huge. But I found a few coffees that you may want to check out. Here are my top 2 for the week:
1. Fruits BOMB by Savorworks - 91 points
2. Type K by Kohi Roasters - 87 points
These make really good everyday coffees. Especially for the monsoons.
Also, the Ratnagiris are in. I am attempting to release the ratings for these coffees on a real-time rolling basis. The ratings will be out in the next 2-3 days and updated periodically over the 2 weeks that follow to account for any changes in the flavour profiles.
The narratives have been my way of explaining developments in the coffee space in a free-form of writing. The initial reception has been great, and many have been asking me about how it all adds up and what is the larger play at work. To do so, I had to design a framework which tied it all together. It was a Sisyphean task to figure it out but I was successful in articulating via "Strategic choices in running a coffee business". Frameworks help in thinking using a structured approach and professionals working/intending to work in the coffee industry should give this a read.
UP YOUR GAME
If you love your coffee iced but don't have an idea how much of it to add or what brew ratio to use, you're not alone. I did a little kitchen experiment and found out the best way to do so. Read about the flash chilling and optimal ice-to-water ratios here.
1. Curious Life, Corridor Seven and Quick Brown Fox are now retailing the much hyped Ratnagiri Estate coffees.
2. Coffee aggregator startup Sixteen Grams now has a new competition - BeanDeck
3. Coffee is incomplete without music that compliments the brewing experience. Project 2.2 now has 6 curated playlists on Spotify, with more in the pipeline
1. Are VCs looking at the Indian specialty coffee space? The financials do look exciting
2. Which are the best Ratnagiri estate coffees - realtime ratings and reviews
If you want to get a deeper view on the strategy article mentioned earlier in this newsletter, reach out to me here or message on Instagram.